Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

D-link DSL 2640S Problems with Blackberry

This is a discussion on D-link DSL 2640S Problems with Blackberry within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I can't seem to get my Blackberry to connect to my D-link 2460s and maintain a constant connection via wifi ...

Bizzlovski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

D-link DSL 2640S Problems with Blackberry

I can't seem to get my Blackberry to connect to my D-link 2460s and maintain a constant connection via wifi or UMA. Matter of fact, I can't get any Blackberry to do this and I've tried a good 6 or 7!
      Yet I can connect with no problem to any other d-link router I have tried.....

Has anyone else encountered this problem??

I've checked the settings on both the phone and the router, and can't see anything obviously wrong although my 2460s is running firmware sky1.1 where as others I can connect to are running 2.44.1 but, I cannot find the firmware upgrade anywhere. Neither can anyone on the helpdesk apparently!

This problem is a bit crucial to me as I live in a pretty low signal area and the UMA option of the phone helps me out a lot!

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: D-link DSL 2640S Problems with Blackberry

Have you tried changing the router channel? If it is like the other Sky routers it will be set to automatic which does not always work too well. Try downloading Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Set you channel to one as far from those in use as possible.

The Dlink firmware you have will be the latest, the other firmware numbers you see are for different routers. Each model of router has its own unique firmware and is updated automatically by Sky when updates become available..

Have you reported the problem to Sky? If there is a problem nothing will be done about it till enough users report it. Email is probably best as there is then a permanent record of your complaint.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Bizzlovski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, tried changing the router channel. Tried all of them!

Yes, I've also reported to the problem to Sky several times. Each time I get through to anyone, I end up going through all the steps of changing channels, resetting the router, changing from wep/wpa etc..... Nothing works and no one seems to know!

Although today, I went and installed a d-link router at my mums and my blackberry connected first time with no problems!!

So, I'm really lost! I still have one day left on the cancellation clause so back to Virgin I go I guess!

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You could always use a third party router or push for a different router from sky.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

andytaylor59uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leamington spa
      Thanks

Bizzlovski

Did you get this resolved or did you go back to Virgin?

Looks like I am having same problem. Tried all sorts but can't get BB to connect for more than a minute or so. It looses it the auto reconnects then looses it.

Phoned Sky, the woman I spoke with didn't even understand what UMA. Orange said they would update my phone with network updates, I am still waiting. Phoned D Link but they don't support the router as its Sky although guy on phone suggested I turned off wifi protected setup but I can't find it.

Desperately need my phone to connect so I can use UMA.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

andytaylor59uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leamington spa
      Thanks

OK - I think I have resolved this issue so hopefully anybody else with the same problem will find this solution.

The problem was resolved by getting a different router from Sky.I now have the Sagem one ( Sagem F@ST 2504 Sky V3.1).

Neither my Blackberry Bold 9700 nor a colleagues 9700 nor my wifes Curve 8250 would consistently connect and hold a wifi and UMA connection to the D-Link. It dropped out after 30 secs, reconnected, then dropped etc. Yet they all connected to other peoples wifi networks including other people on non D-Link Sky boxes. So it was clear to me it was the D Link router and not the phone. I also phoned Orange to make sure I had tried everything on the phone side. My first 2 calls to Sky where less the productive and despite trying to adjust all the router and phone settings both myself and on the phone with Sky technician, Sky initially refused to send me a new router. So I called their cancellations department and told them I would cancel as was still within cancellation period and I was not getting the required service or equivalent I had with Orange. After this they put me through to their techs again but this time with a guy who was helpful. After a couple of more trials he agreed it was the router and also agreed it could be the D-Link version and that they should send me a replacement. However he could not request that I was re sent a different model as they are just sent out but as the D-Link is new he ordered me a re-conditioned router as this way he could almost guarantee it would not be a D-Link and probably would be a Net Gear or Sagem.

I got a Sagem today. Set it up and it has connected to my BB Bold no problem and full UMA connection has held ever since!. Result.

So try this if you are struggling. I tried hours and days adjusting settings and searching forums for an answer. I am going to feedback to Sky they can see if they have an issue with the D-Link and UMA phone connections.

page.p81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Blackberry Curve 8520: I'm having the exact same problem.

Just moved to sky broadband

I can connect no problems to 3 other routers I use: Work, Girlfriend's house & friend's house (all different varieties of router).

Phone can connect to router ok, problem seems to be that the blackberry cannot stay connected to the Blackberry Infrastructure Server (BIS).

Another thing I have noticed is that the actual MAC address of the router and the MAC address that the Blackberry thinks the router is, differ by one hex digit.

I have fired off a complaint to sky to try and get a new router sent out on your recommendations.

If anyone else is having this problem please post so I can see the extent of the issue. Thanks

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

a simple solution if you can't get a sagem from Sky is to get another wireless router or wireless access point that does work and use that to hook your blackberry up to and piggyback that to your sky router.

I had to do this with my home network as my wif'e laptop and blackberry storm refused to connect up with my main router.
      Last edited by Undecided Adrian; 30-11-10 at 12:07 PM.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Another thing I have noticed is that the actual MAC address of the router and the MAC address that the Blackberry thinks the router is, differ by one hex digit.
      This is probably the difference between the ADSL and LAN addresses. The device is connecting to the LAN side of the router so it should be seeing the LAN MAC address, which will differ by one digit from the ADSL one..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

page.p81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      a simple solution if you can't get a sagem from Sky is to get another wireless router or wireless access point that does work and use that to hook your blackberry up to and piggyback that to your sky router.

I had to do this with my home network as my wif'e laptop and blackberry storm refused to connect up with my main router.
      That may be so, but if I'm paying for the router as part of my broadband service, I fully expect it to meet my networking needs.