Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How I Solved My Wireless Connection Problem

This is a discussion on How I Solved My Wireless Connection Problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a new Acer Netbook and became very frustrated when I could not connect to my Sky Sagem router ...

Anniel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207 435
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

How I Solved My Wireless Connection Problem

I have a new Acer Netbook and became very frustrated when I could not connect to my Sky Sagem router wirelessly.

Isitme on the technical discussion board did his best to help me and I asked on other forums to see if I could find any more information. All to no avail.

After days of trying to fix this problem, I suddenly thought of ringing my grandson who is a network manager.

And his solution?

I went to the sky router and to wireless settings. The glitch was that on the wireless station access list,the Turn Access Control On was ticked. Once I unticked that, I was able to connect wirelessly immediately.

I am not sure why this solution worked. But it did and I am writing this post wirelessly.

I do hope this information helps somebody out there.

Anniel

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How I Solved My Wireless Connection Problem

Congratulations, the reason it worked was because the access control is mac filtering. This basically blocks devices it doesnt recognize as being on the safe list using there individual keys or mac addresses. So if you didnt add the mac address of your netbook to the safe list it would block it

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: How I Solved My Wireless Connection Problem

Nice to hear you have fixed it. However if you had followed my instructions to reset the router, the tick would have been cleared and you would have been able to connect. Access control is not set by default, someone must have ticked it

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.