Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt

This is a discussion on Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme Looks like you should have called after all. Others now know what to do. Yep, although ...

Peat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looks like you should have called after all.

Others now know what to do.
      Yep, although some might not be happy with this solution as according to some, the netgear DG834GT is one of the most reliable routers out there.

As for myself, I wasn't contacting Sky about this problem, but about extremely slow speeds and packet loss between 5pm and 12am every day. I had to send them information that couldn't really be related over the phone such as speed test results.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

, but about extremely slow speeds and packet loss between 5pm and 12am every day.
      Looks like you had Connectivitus, for which there is no known cure, except moving to another ISP, which I assume you have done.
      Last edited by Isitme; 18-08-10 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

keith2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spadge007 View Post
      Just a quick update, I phoned technical support and explained the problem.

Without any fuss they have sent me a replacement sagem router which arrived yesterday.

Browsing speed on the iPhone is back to normal and very quick. I am typing this reply directly on my phone :-)

If you are having the same problem try getting a new router from Sky.
      Im going to give them a call - I would be happy to pay for the router if it fixes the problem!!!

Thanks

Do you know anyone with another model of Sky router? If so ask them if you can try it. From this thread it seems the GT model may be the only one with a problem, so the DG934G may also be OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

spadge007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith2010 View Post
      Im going to give them a call - I would be happy to pay for the router if it fixes the problem!!!
      I don't think you should have to pay for a new router as the problem is caused by Sky's custom/faulty firmware. Other users have confirmed that the Netgear stock firmware does not exhibit the same problem.

You should get a new router out of them F O C

Good luck

Thanks

There is a very long thread concerning the slowness of the i4 here - Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 4 - painfully slow wi-fi ...
      So it seems it is just not the GT that is causing the problem.
      One solution that was said to work was changing the DNS servers, so that might be worth a try before writing off a perfectly good router. Try changing the DNS servers in the i4 to the OpenDNS servers. These are 208.67.222.222 or/and 208.67.220.220, depending on whether you given the option of 2 addresses.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys, just a quick update. After I gave up trying to speak with sky technical on the phone due to call waiting delays taking forever, I decided to email them instead.

Here is the reply that I got back ::::::

Sorry for the delay in replying to your message about your iphone4 wireless speed with the netgear router.*

I have asked around for you to see if there is any calls comming through about this, and nobody seems to be reporting anything. It is true that the Sky Router security is locked down so you will have to use a Sky Router. You seem to have a good idea of what your talking about as far as the settings in the router changing channels ect. The best advice I can give is to have a look on the website for your phone and see if there is anything they can help with. Sorry I can't be of more help.*

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Technical team on 08442 411 411, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.*
      :::::::::

Obviously this wasn't going to help, so I had a quick look on eBay and bought a different sky router off someone for 99p + postage!
      I got home with the router, and everything is working at full speed again The router is black and still a netgear item but it is not the GT version. Hopefully when a few more people complain to Sky they will release some form of update for the Gt router.

Thankyou to everyone for coming on here and posting your experiences, I would have been stuck if it wasn't for various information above.

Keith
      Last edited by keith2010; 28-08-10 at 09:45 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quick update - the router that I now have that works well is a DG934G

Keith

spadge007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

Nice to hear you got it sorted in the end!

Spadge

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I had an Itouch3 and upgraded to the new Itouch4 software, then all my problems started, incuding wifi speeds , battery life, etc. I contacted Apple USA who admitted to the problem and explained there was no way to go back to my previous version without jailbreaking , which would violate Apples guarantee.
      They recommended a replacement and gave me the necessary details I required to have my itouch replaced at the Leicester Apple shop. My replacement had the ver 3 software and all my problems were resolved !!
      I should have checked Apples user forum before upgrading the software as there are enough warning messages there NOT to upgrade.
      According to Apple in Leicester the problem is with the upgrade , not with a new itouch with 4 already installed. I cannot verify this.
      Hope this input helps a little.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast