Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt

This is a discussion on Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by spadge007 Thanks for your suggestion, but flashing the router is a last resort as it breaks Sky's ...

Peat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt

Quote Originally Posted by spadge007 View Post
      Thanks for your suggestion, but flashing the router is a last resort as it breaks Sky's T&C's.

I maybe forced to do it though
      In that case, before I flashed the firmware I did manage to make it slightly faster by changing the wireless 'mode' (In Wireless Settings in your router config) to 'g only', and changing the wireless channel from 12 to 6. It didnt make a huge difference though, and was still very slow.

Your best bet really is flashing the router - I don't think Sky can tell if you do this, and if they can, they certainly don't chase you up on it. After all, you own the thing!

2. Advertisement
      iphonegaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky 20mb standard broadband
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymcmahon View Post
      Hi guys just wondering if any of you uk iPhone users have the sky provided netgear router and are using it with your iPhone 4.

I have been finding that the wifi speed on my iPhone 4 when on my home network is shocking in comparison to my 3GS on the same network.

I spend more time looking at the blue loading bar than I do seeing the webpages. Almost all sites I try to visit, as soon as I press go the blue bar fills ever so slightly the screen goes White and then there is a delay of anything up to 4-10 seconds before the webpage content finally appears.

Another example...facebook app, takes around 10-15 seconds to refresh my news feed.....3gs its dont in 5 seconds max...

My 3Gs however still flies through webpages.

I have checked all the usual. Firmware of the router is up to date. It isn't a wireless n router and is currently transmitting at g.

Anyone else having issues or is it just my phone as I will be wanting a replacement if so.

Cheers.

I am having exactly the same problem. My iphone 4 is waaaaay slower than my old 3G and my mrs's 3GS is streets ahead when using internet or data-based apps.

As someone else has reported, streaming via iplayer or other web-based movies is impossible, taking almost a minute to load an image and then streaming is non-existent after a couple of seconds. would be very keen to know a fix. been into apple shop and they just suggest a new router as no hardware fault of theirs they tell me.

cheers
      Gaz

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith2010 View Post
      I have recently got an iphone4 and have the exact same problem of slow speeds on the netgear router :-(
      Only happened since I upgraded from a 3G to the iphone4 handset though.

In first suspecting the phone was faulty I went to my parents house and they have got Virgin and their brandless 'N' router that is supplied to customers - The wifi connection on that setup is very very fast! Looks like a compatibiliy issue to me.
      I did the exact same test and got the same results!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

In first suspecting the phone was faulty I went to my parents house and they have got Virgin and their brandless 'N' router that is supplied to customers - The wifi connection on that setup is very very fast! Looks like a compatibiliy issue to me.
      It would be as the iPhone has wireless N, which the Sky router doesn't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Iphone 4 very slow wifi on sky router netgear dg834gt

Just reading over the forum again and am I correct to assume that if i switch back to my old sky Sagem router this could solve the problem?

Thanks

As PEAT seems to have proved it is the Sky firmware that is the problem, using a Sagem, which has different firmware, may solve the issue. It is worth a try.

I think it may be a wifi security problem. Has anyone tried connecting with the security disabled?
      Has anyone raised this issue with Sky?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Peat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As PEAT seems to have proved it is the Sky firmware that is the problem, using a Sagem, which has different firmware, may solve the issue. It is worth a try.

I think it may be a wifi security problem. Has anyone tried connecting with the security disabled?
      Has anyone raised this issue with Sky?
      It could well be. Haven't raised it with Sky, as i'm switching to Talk Talk this Friday.

Wouldn't reccomend talking to Sky about it either, seeing as it takes them 2 weeks to reply to any support emails you send them.

Thanks

Wouldn't reccomend talking to Sky about it either,
      In your case it may be a waste of time, but others are not leaving. Unlikely, but there may be a simple fix which Sky know about. For some years users had problems with the Sagem router and VPN, now all it takes is a phone call and Sky download firmware to your router which fixes it. They might not have the same solution yet for the i4, but they never will have if no one reports the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

spadge007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just a quick update, I phoned technical support and explained the problem.

Without any fuss they have sent me a replacement sagem router which arrived yesterday.

Browsing speed on the iPhone is back to normal and very quick. I am typing this reply directly on my phone :-)

If you are having the same problem try getting a new router from Sky.

Thanks

Wouldn't reccomend talking to Sky about it either,
      Without any fuss they have sent me a replacement sagem router which arrived yesterday.
      Looks like you should have called after all.

Others now know what to do.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast