Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless degrades when others connect?

This is a discussion on Wireless degrades when others connect? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Greetings Sky Users - Its been many moons since i last appeared here - having had no problems in MONTHS. ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless degrades when others connect?

Greetings Sky Users - Its been many moons since i last appeared here - having had no problems in MONTHS. shock horror. But now it seems we do have an issue that needs attending to.

IN our household we have 4 evices that use the original V1 router - 2 Laptops on wireless, 1 PC on wireless about 20 feet away that is used for downloading and games and finally an xbox 360.

Now what the main issue is - Durin the day when it is just the PC online - we have no isseus with the internet what so ever. However when everyone returns from home - connects the laptops - the wireless on the PC fluctuates greatley - as in - what was at 3 bars (standard signal), drops down to 1, then fluctuates between 1-2-3 bars - which of course makes the internet unusable in some cases on the PC. Yet the Laptops suffer no loss what so ever.

Does anyone have any technical no how on why this is occuring? its baffling even me at this stage.

just as some side bits - i've been out of the loop for some time now - I know netgear have seriously gone down hill with the release of Windows 7 - but can someone put me back in the loop.

does uPnP still not work? annnd are the customer routers sky rolled otu a few years back any advantage over there current? because if its the router not being upto it, im extremly tempted to change router in that case.

AND if theres anything else i should be aware of?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wireless degrades when others connect?

If you haven't tried changing the channel yet then I'd run through the following.

Connect an ethernet cable from one of your laptops to the router, log into the router (192.168.0.1 - admin:sky) click on 'wireless settings' on the left, change the channel to another channel such as 13 and apply at the bottom of the page. Go back to the desktop and monitor whether the signal is any better. If not, then try a few other channels and see if there's any improvement.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yet the Laptops suffer no loss what so ever.
      I think this just proves they have superior wireless adapters.

I know netgear have seriously gone down hill with the release of Windows 7
      I don't quite know what you mean by this, routers are OS independent and should give no problem with Win 7 or any other OS. If you mean adapters, then most of the up to date ones have Win 7 drivers available, either built into Windows or from Netgear. 64bit drivers are a problem for some.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh certainly - laptop antenna are far superior in all ways - and it just makes me wonder personally, why they can't make such things for PC's PROPERLY.

I can sit my laptop further away from the router than my Pc - Pc will say have 2 bars of signal despite being 5 feet closer - laptop will be on 3-4 bars being 5 feet further away.

In regards to netgear - well its simply there arrogance in terms of updating products, downloads and what not over recent months. - Adapter wise there hasn't been anything new for a few years - updates to bring them to the windows 7 platform barely exist (yes i'm a 64bit professional runner ) and don't get me started on tech support. I was once a proud Netgear customer, swearing by them. Yet from first hand experience and reading articles from others - the greats seem to be moving over to Cisco.

back to the matter at hand - Changed the channels - again, 13 - my wireless card can't get a signal from atall - yet my cisco dongel does, well...only 1 bar.

currently sat on channel 10 and might go down to 9 to see what results are - Tried changing setting to 108mbps Auto too - which slowed lots of things down.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try a higher gain aerial on your PC. It may help. 108 'super' G is no use unless you have a 108 adapter. I always advise 'G only' for the Netgear as using the 108 Auto setting is using resources which are being wasted with a G or N adapter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.