Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Varying Wireless speeds

This is a discussion on Varying Wireless speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I hope someone might be able to help me, I have been searching this thread all day and I can't ...

midnightaction is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Varying Wireless speeds

I hope someone might be able to help me, I have been searching this thread all day and I can't seem to find an answer to my problem, there have been lots of really helpful tips but nothing that seems to have the answer for me, so I hope someone can help.

I don't know if there is a link but I can only imagine that there is, as of last week I bought a new computer (Macbook Pro, had a macbook previously) and ever since then my Wireless connection has been doing some very strange things. I can have speeds of up to 8mps one minute and then the next the speed drops right down to 0.2mp and anything that I am doing freezes (Most particularly BBC iplayer).

Below are 2 examples of the massive variations in speed in just the short space of about an hour (There were many changes during that time these were just the 2 I got screen shots of )

Obviously I can't work like this because whenever I start to do or watch anything the speed just drops straight out and I loose what I am in the middle of. This low only generally lasts for about 5 mins at a time, and then it increases up to anywhere between 6-7mps again.

These are my router stats which all seem fine and normal to me and around the speed I would expect for my area so it is obvious that the issue is with the wireless router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9665 kbps 870 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 14.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 8.5 db

I have tried changing the Channel and I have used everyone from 1 up to 13 and I get the same problem no matter which channel I use.

I have downloaded Air Radar, and there are no other wireless connections in my area (I live in a very very small village), but I am only getting a maximum signal strengh for my router of 51%, and thats being in the room next door to the router. If I move so that I am standing right by the router with the laptop then I still only get a 72% signal strenth.

I have tried placing the router in a different position, I have tried putting it higher and I have disconnected and unplugged my cordless phone in case that is interferring, but yet still I only have a 51% signal strength in the next room.

I have a static IP address and all the relevants ports are open for any programmes that need them to be.

Can anyone tell me why my wireless speed is dropping so dramatically within such a short space of time ? What is causing it to go from 7mp to practically nothing and then back up again all in minutes, over and over again all day ? All things point to the fact that the problem is the router and it is just giving out an extremely poor signal strength (based on the Air Radar stats), but then surely I would get a poor speed constantly and not this constantly up and down speed changes.

If anyone knows of anything I can do or try to stop this I would be extremely grateful as after paying out so much for a new computer it is annoying as hell to not be able to watch or do anything that requires even the slowest of connection speeds

Many thanks

S

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Varying Wireless speeds

My guess is that it's a mixture of wireless interference, but mostly bad throughput due to errors on the line. You're syncing pretty low for your attenuation - plug into the test socket and re-take the stats and also run another couple of speed tests and check if it's more consistent.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have searched my whole house this morning for a test socket and I can not find one anywhere , all I appear to have is the normal sockets. This is not my house so I do not know what was or was not put into the house in terms of phone lines, is there anything elseI can try ?

Sarah

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The test socket is behind the lower faceplate of an NTE5 Master linebox.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If this has just started since you got the MB Pro, I think that points to the problem. There must be some sort of compatibility issue between the 2 devices. Don't forget what you are seeing 51% or any other figure is what your MB Pro is receiving, not necessarily the router output. Do you have the old MB or another PC you can check with.

One thing you can try is changing the wireless mode of the router to '54g performance' or 'g only', depending on the router you have. This means the router does not waste power using 'b' or '108', which are not required.

As mentioned your sync speed is pretty low, so finding your master socket should be a priority.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I to think that it is maybe a problem between the MBP and the router, but I have searched everywhere online and can not find anything that talks about a known problem of compatibility issues between MBP's and some routers. I don't really want to rush to the shop and buy a new one if that's not really the problem.

I never really noticed this problem with my old MB, but it may well have been going on but because I was not doing so much with that computer I may not have noticed. I have given the old MB away but I am gonna ask to have it back for a few days to see if the problem happens with that one as well.

As for the master socket, I really have looked everywhere(inside and out) for that and still can not find it, I even went up in the death defying loft in case it was there but still nothing. I got my Dad around to take a look as well coz he is slightly more knowledgable thean me, but he could not find one either. He did say that because my house is so old that I may not actually have one of these boxes as they are not always found in older houses, is this true ?

Sarah

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possible your old* house does not have an NTE5 master socket, but it will have a master socket of some kind. As your dad is slightly more knowledgeable than you() get him to go round the sockets and remove the faceplates. He is looking for one with a capacitor inside. That's a small cylinder about the size of an AAA battery. When he finds it, that is the master socket. He can remove the wire or wires connected to the no 3 terminal. That is the ring wire and is not required when you are using plug in filters for your phones. He might also want to check if you have an old junction box supplying a number of sockets, this can be very bad for broadband.

If you have a friend with a USB type wireless adapter, see if you can borrow it, plug it in and see if there is any improvement.

*Very new houses are more liable not to have a master socket than older ones. In many new builds the master socket is in a box outside which is not accessible to the user.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.