Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Drop in speed through Comtrend Homeplugs on PS3

This is a discussion on Drop in speed through Comtrend Homeplugs on PS3 within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all. I've had these Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapters DH-10PF 200mbps for about 2 weeks now (they are around 3 ...

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Drop in speed through Comtrend Homeplugs on PS3

Hello all.

I've had these Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapters DH-10PF 200mbps for about 2 weeks now (they are around 3 months old but were never used until now, my parents had BT Vision box but never hooked it up) and they've been brilliant until a couple of days ago.
      At first I did a number of connection tests under the network settings tab on my PS3 and the download speed was between 10.3Mbps and 11.4Mbps down with 900kbps - 975kbps upload, which is great as my PC gets 15.5Mbps down and 1mbps upload, I didn't expect to get the same speeds as my PC but that's not far off.
      But lately I'm only getting between 2.5mbps and 5.4mbps down and around 300 - 600kbps upload.
      I've tried resetting the plugs by holding the config/reset button in for 15+ seconds, I switched them off for about 14 hours to see if that would help, I tried putting the PS3 on the DMZ which seemed to make it slightly slower for some reason, I switched the firewall on the router off (not for long), no difference.

They are still MUCH better than using wireless, I just dont understand why this has happened

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

Mark O

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Drop in speed through Comtrend Homeplugs on PS3

are you using the PS3 inbuilt speed tester or one on a webpage through the browser?

Speed testers are great to make sure a connection is working but quite a few are rubbish (speedtest.net for one) and as long as the PS3 is giving you good performance I wouldn't worry.

You could always try the one on the site here on your PC and PS3 and see if you get a closer match.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      are you using the PS3 inbuilt speed tester or one on a webpage through the browser?

Speed testers are great to make sure a connection is working but quite a few are rubbish (speedtest.net for one) and as long as the PS3 is giving you good performance I wouldn't worry.

You could always try the one on the site here on your PC and PS3 and see if you get a closer match.
      Cheers. I used the inbuilt speed tester on the PS3, the ones through the browser either don't load or give ridiculous readings lol.
      It just puzzled me why they decided not to work as well as before as I am seeing more lag. Bearable, but still frustrating when on MW2. lol
      Thanks for the reply.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I know that there is a huge problem with MW2 with lag.

I read somewhere that on XBL that only US based people are being made the host causing lag for everybody else but i don't know if that is the same on PSN.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I know that there is a huge problem with MW2 with lag.

I read somewhere that on XBL that only US based people are being made the host causing lag for everybody else but i don't know if that is the same on PSN.
      Funnily enough, I played a few games just now and every game I played, I was host. The only problem I had was every now and again I'd get a lag spike once or twice per game. Other than that it was very smooth. I was in game with a friend of mine and he said he never lagged once, he didn't get the lag spikes that I was getting. So I won't fiddle about with them for now. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol

Thanks

Hi, until today I've not been on my PS3 since the last post and now I've noticed that on MW2, where it says NAT Type in the multi-player menu, before today it has always said Open but today, when I first tried to play, it said Strict. So I reloaded the game and it went to Moderate. I'm not quite sure what this means but I did notice a lot more lag.
      Also, the best download speed it could achieve was 4.4kbps which is a full 7meg down on what I was getting a fortnight or so ago. Upload was around 550kbps.
      Could this mean deteriorating/faulty plugs or something to do with the internal wiring of my house?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this makes any difference to what has happened to the speed/ connectivity but I remembered when this all started, the night before I took them to a friends house to show him how good they were on his PS3. It only showed a very slight improvement in his d/l speed and a decrease of 150kbps in his upload, which I thought was weird.
      Would this have somehow resulted in my loss of speed?! Like I said in the OP, I've completely restored them back to factory settings using this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...666/c/348,1155 and still they're not at full speed.

I'm now at a loss to what it could be..... so frustrating.

I may be nit picking but I just want them to work like they did before, please can anyone help?
      Last edited by Mark O; 07-05-10 at 11:01 PM.