Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SSID with an wireless extender

This is a discussion on SSID with an wireless extender within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've put a homeplug in which has both ethernet port and wireless. I've configured the device with its own SSID ...

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SSID with an wireless extender

I've put a homeplug in which has both ethernet port and wireless. I've configured the device with its own SSID as when I gave it the same as the Sky router it reports the same and it is hard to know which one is which.

Is this correct or should I set it to the same as the Sky router and set it to not display the SSID

Would a device then pick the 'strongest' signal device?

2. Advertisement
      sbarkeri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSHI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: SSID with an wireless extender

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
      I've put a homeplug in which has both ethernet port and wireless. I've configured the device with its own SSID as when I gave it the same as the Sky router it reports the same and it is hard to know which one is which.

Is this correct or should I set it to the same as the Sky router and set it to not display the SSID

Would a device then pick the 'strongest' signal device?
      I have 2 routers in my house, my Sky one and a D-Link one, have them both set to the same SSID and security settings the only thing that is different is that the D-Link router has DCHP turned off and they are both set to different wireless channels, this way whichever router I am nearest to it will connect to that one.