Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless speed

This is a discussion on Wireless speed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been having speed issues with my Sky wireless connection. I downloaded a program called inSSIDer which shows other ...

VictorianDad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fountainbridge
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Wireless speed

I have been having speed issues with my Sky wireless connection. I downloaded a program called inSSIDer which shows other networks in my vicinity - unfortunately there are usually at least 30!

I have experimented with different channels and some are better than others, but the only way I can get the network speed close to the speed of the wired connection is to have my laptop right next to the router. My wired speed is around 6Mbps and my laptop gets anything between 1.2Mbps and 0.1Mbps... which is obviously very poor.

An obvious solution would be to move my router, but that's a bit of a hassle - I would need to get a long ethernet cable for my desktop PC.

The question I have relates to the speed inSSIDer reports my wirless network is operating at. Most other networks in my vicinity are reported as 54 or 65, but mine reports 22.

I am wondering why mine is so low and if that is affecting my connection?

I had always thought that the signal strength was not all that important as long as you had a connection... I guess that is not the case.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless speed

Unfortunately that is the way wireless networks have gone. As more and more users jump on the WiFi bandwagon, so the airwaves become saturated. This seems to be especially true if your some of your neighbours are using the new Hub. I have a neighbour in my village with one and even though it is a full 150m away I can pick it up. It seems BT have taken a 'Diel tak the hindermost' attitude.

I would advise you to consider using a Homeplug network. These can have a wireless access unit which is useful if you want to use a laptop. http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...ShopGroupID=61

With regards the speed of your connection, do you have the latest drivers for the adapter in your laptop? Have a look at the manufacturers site and see if there is anything more up to date. If you are using XP, you might benefit from using TCPOptimiser. There are tweaks for Vista/Win7 but they are not too effective.

To get the best speed from your connection you should be plugged into the master socket, preferably through a filtered faceplate.

What router are you using? If you have a version 1 set the wireless mode to 54g only, if you have a Version 2, set it to 54g Performance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I should probably check the drivers on my laptop. It is running XP and I already downloaded and ran TCPOptimiser - it probably made some difference but not a huge one I don't think.

Not sure what version of Sky router I have I'll check when I get home. I tried changing it from b & g to g only and the speed reported in inSSIDer went DOWN to 11! So I put it back.

As far as I understand the speed in inSSIDer relates to the speed of the wireless network and is unrelated to the laptop - is that correct? Although I am running inSSIDer on the laptop of course.

My router is not plugged into the master socket - it is plugged into an extension - but I wired this myself with CAT5 cable and I am satisfied it is a good connection. I get about 5.5 to 6.0Mbps on the PC connected by ethernet, which is probably about as fast as I'll get on my line. I have a 10Mbps service.

What I really want to know is why inSSIDer reports 24 in the speed column for my network, whereas most others are 54 or 65, despite appearing to be much weaker signals. (which suggests it's nothing to do with the strength of signal)

Thanks

I tried changing it from b & g to g only and the speed reported in inSSIDer went DOWN to 11! So I put it back.
      That does not look good.
      Either your installation of Inssider is corrupted or your router is faulty. From the settings you have mentioned, I would say you have the V1, white router which means it is fairly old and may have developed a fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That does not look good.
      Either your installation of Inssider is corrupted or your router is faulty. From the settings you have mentioned, I would say you have the V1, white router which means it is fairly old and may have developed a fault.
      I have a dark grey router - I got it when I signed up to Sky BB less than a year and a half ago, so I think it's a newer one. How can I tell?

Thanks

If it is dark grey it is a V2, there should be a label on it telling you the make.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

If it is dark grey it is a V2, there should be a label on it telling you the make.
      It's a Netgear...

Thanks

I have not used the DG934 so I can't guide you with the settings unless they are like the 834, which you can see here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/images/router/router7.gif

As you tried g only and the speed dropped, there is not much more you can set.

Do you have friend with a laptop who could come in and see what speed it connects at? That would be the easiest way to find out if the router wifi is faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I have not used the DG934 so I can't guide you with the settings unless they are like the 834, which you can see here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/images/router/router7.gif

As you tried g only and the speed dropped, there is not much more you can set.

Do you have friend with a laptop who could come in and see what speed it connects at? That would be the easiest way to find out if the router wifi is faulty.
      My settings options are identical.

I could borrow another laptop from work to test it out. My wife has an old Mac laptop but those things are a mystery to me.