Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with sitecom wireless USB adapter

This is a discussion on Problems with sitecom wireless USB adapter within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been using a wireless usb adapter (sitecom wl-608 v1 001) for quite some time with no problems until ...

G4RY L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problems with sitecom wireless USB adapter

I have been using a wireless usb adapter (sitecom wl-608 v1 001) for quite some time with no problems until I changed my broadband to Sky. Since the change over from AOL to SKY the wireless adapter is refusing to talk to the Sky router. Can anyone please help before my laptop finds itself in my wheelie bin!!!

Many many thanks

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Problems with sitecom wireless USB adapter

I think we need more information.

Can you see the Sky Router but not connect or can you not see the Sky router but can see other peoples networks?

What encryption method did you use before (WEP or WPA or None?). You should now be using WPA.

The Sky WiFi Key is only Letters and in Capitals, are you typing it in correctly?

Your equipment is probably working OK but you haven't set the protocols up correctly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Firstly , thanks for your help its much appreciated.

I'll be honest, I dont confess to knowing alot about computers etc, but I'll do my best to provide you with the information you require. Here goes........

I can see the Sky Router on the list of prefered networks but it wont connect. Its tries to connect then connects to another network (a BT network). The information on the tool bar at the bottom displays :

Wireless network connection
      Speed : 54 Mbps
      Signal strength : V good

I'm not so sure what encryption I previously used, or ineed how to find out.

I'm sure when typing the WIFI key I used the upper case.

I hope the info provided is more of a help this time.

Thanks once again

Gary

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Okey I am going to take a punt your using Windows XP, lets start by clearing the preferred networks list, if its getting stuck on acquiring network address it generally means the key is incorrectly stored in preferred networks.

Right click your wireless icon on the taskbar, select "view available wireless networks", on the left click "change the order of preferred networks" , remove any networks in the preferred networks window so that the window is empty if there is a profile that you have to keep like your work network then okey but idealy you want to totaly empty the list, then click OK.

Now lets try to enter the Network key again
      Right click your wireless icon on the taskbar, select "view available wireless networks", select your sky routers SSID and click connect, enter the 8 letter key ensuring the caps lock is on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If that does not work, go into the Wireless settings of the router and tick the Disable box under Security. See if you can connect.

If you are picking up other networks, it is probably worthwhile downloading Inssider from the link below. Use this to discover the networks and the channels they are using. Set yours to a channel as far from those in use as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello ....

Yip its Windows XP I have.

Done everything you said, then selected SSID, then entered the network key with caps on. As soon I clicked on connect, I had a new prompt on screen which displayed the following message :

Wireless configuration
      The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

Another language to me ... confused.com

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would guess that your XP installation does not have the necessary Sp to support WPA as it is looking for a WEP key. As a temporary solution go into the Wireless settings in the router, you will need to connect with an ethernet cable, or use another PC connected by ethernet cable and change the Security to WEP and type abcde12345 in the box. Click apply, disconnect the cable and try to connect by wireless typing in abcde12345 when requested..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thats it sorted.... WOOHOO!!!
      I went back over everything you told me to do and realised that when I changed the encryption to WPA and entered the network key I hadnt clicked 'apply'.... DOH!!!!!

Thanks once again for taking the time to help me, this is such a fab site!!! I'm now a very happy chappy, considering that yesterday I was so close to chucking my laptop in the wheelie bin. I should really think about investing some of my time and learn about computing etc..

Thank you so so much...

Gary..