Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Regarding WPA-PSK.

This is a discussion on Regarding WPA-PSK. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; First off, hello! thank god i found you guys. Next my problem. My computer upstairs (the good one) has just ...

Redsimmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: dont know.
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Regarding WPA-PSK.

First off, hello! thank god i found you guys. Next my problem. My computer upstairs (the good one) has just took a funny turn. It disconnected itself from the internet and is refusing to reconnect. So i diagnose the problem and my security key is wrong, im asked to make sure its correct. Which it is and yet it still fails to connect. All other wireless capable technology (Wii, PS3 etc) connect fine with the security key. And yet the good computer fails to recognise it as the correct key. Anyone got any idea what could be my problem here?

Ive rebooted, reinstalled and re-everything i could think of before searching for you guys. Any help in any shape or form is muchly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Regarding WPA-PSK.

To confirm that it is the security key, turn off the security in the router and see if it will connect. If it still cannot connect that points to the security in your PC. Maybe a firewall or AV update which is stopping the connection.

If it does connect without security, try changing your security key, see if that makes any difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

To be a pain. how would i turn the security off? And incase it is the securty key, how would i change that? Bit of a noob when it comes to wireless connection and such. thanks in advance

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

In your browser type:

then in the pop up window type:

Username : admin
      Password: sky

Then on the left hand side bar click on Wireless and in the security section click on Disable.

Then SAVE

That will leave you running without any WiFi security. Try your computer. Does it connect?
      If it does then it's the security key, if it doesn't its something on your computer.

Post back when you've tried.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go into the router settings, Wireless set up and tick the box next to Disable under security options. To put it back on select the WPA radio button.

To change the WPA-PSK security key, highlight and delete the existing key, which will be 8 capital letters and replace it with one of your choice. It can consist of anything you can type on your keyboard from 8 to 63 characters. Remember to click Apply or it will not be saved.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right. you guys are officially legends. When security is switched off the computer does infact work. Which is excellent. However i dont want to have an unsecured network, and someone, somehow change my security key. Is there a virus that can do such a thing? Any feedback is good feedback. thanks

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Type in a new Security Key and SAVE it.

Go to Maintenance on the side bar and select Change Password (just use one you will remember) and and save it.

Then on the log-in screen for your router the Password is the new one you have entered.

I'm not aware of a virus that would change your Security Key but changing the Password for the router will make it more difficult for others to access the router.

Now change the Security Key on your various computers etc.