Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't ping my wireless printer! Please help.

This is a discussion on Can't ping my wireless printer! Please help. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. Tearing my hair out for days. I've bought a new Epson 710W wireless printer. Set up as per ...

The Wanderer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can't ping my wireless printer! Please help.

Hi all.

Tearing my hair out for days. I've bought a new Epson 710W wireless printer. Set up as per instruction manual. It works beautifully but I can't get my laptop to see it.
      I have

1 vista laptop - my main machine
      1 XP laptop - my wife's work machine
      1 Iphone
      1 wireless printer
      1 PS3 (the only wired connection)

connected with no problems to a Sky netgear router only a few months old.

But I cannot print wirelessly.

I've gone through the broadband set up tutorial.
      I've made sure the firewall was down.
      I've tried pinging the printer and I get "destination host unreachable"
      I've searched everywhere!

Help would be most appreciated.

Rich

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can't ping my wireless printer! Please help.

If you can print from the XP machine and not the Vista one, it may be a firewall problem. Check that File and printer sharing is enabled in the Network Centre and that the firewall is allowing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

OriginalMofo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Madley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Check the IP address for the printer in the printer config. file on the Vista laptop, it should be the same as the one in the XP laptop. For the XP laptop this is found by clicking Start - Printers & Faxes (or go through Control Panel) then right-click the printer and choose Properties. Select the Ports tab, click on the printer port that is ticked and then click Configure Port, you should then be able to read the printer's IP address. I don't use Vista so can't tell you where to find this setting in there but it's probably very similar.

Bird2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I struggled with this problem for over a year! I even replaced the printer and I still had the problem. I finally found the solution on the Comcast support forum: Problems connecting laptop to wireless printer ove... - Comcast Help and Support Forums

Here is the solution:

1) Use a static IP address on your printer. Look in your user's manual and find a way to set the IP address on your printer so it doesn't change even you reboot your router. On my Epson, I go into the control panel and use the "Manual Wi-Fi Setup".

2) Routers have a setting called "AP Isolation". This setting, if enabled, isolates the Wi-Fi clients so they cannot see each other. Make sure the AP Isolation is disabled. Now, here is my problem. I had the AP Isolation disabled. However, after a few weeks, I could not hit the printer. It just wouldn't connect ("unreachable"). After reading the Comcast post, I turned the AP Isolation setting on (Enabled) and then I saved my settings. Then, I turned the AP Isolation back off (Disabled) and I saved my settings again. The wireless connection worked again! Yea! So, apparently my Cisco M20 router just starts isolating the AP clients for no reason after a few weeks even though the AP Isolation setting is disabled. Yesterday, I downloaded a new firmware for my router and I installed it. I am hoping that this firmware solves the problem permanently. However, if the printer becomes "unreachable" again, I will simply turn on AP Isolation, save settings, then turn off AP Isolation and save settings again.

I am very detailed in this post because I have been searching for this answer for over a year. This problem has caused me a lot of grief. I am hoping to save a lot of people from this hassle. Best wishes!