Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Homeplug advice please

This is a discussion on Homeplug advice please within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I currently have sky with a Sagem router (its diabolical!) Anyway I read about the homeplugs but I am really ...

ange11eyes is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Homeplug advice please

I currently have sky with a Sagem router (its diabolical!) Anyway I read about the homeplugs but I am really looking for advice.

I have my router in my lounge and use my laptop in the lounge wirelessly and rarely get above three bars reception. I have another laptop wirelessly connecting in the dining room. Upstairs I have three pcs and another laptop also connecting wirelessly using belkin adaptors. Its rare they are all on at the same time however evenings and weekends there are usually at least two standalones and two laptops connecting. Just lately signal has been really bad and it is getting increasingly difficult to stay online.

I read about the homeplugs and I am considering these. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also am I right in thinking that every computer will have to be connected to one of the plugs using an ethernet cable? Does this mean my belkin adaptors are redundant?

Many thanks for any advice

2. Advertisement
      bifferbob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: emsworth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:

Re: Homeplug advice please

I've also been looking at these and there seems to be quite a lot out there. A pair (the minimum needed, 1 to the router and one to wherever you like) are priced around the 50- 80 mark.

They will all need an ethernet cable connected to EACH plug. Not sure if they do a 2 port plug yet. Also there are different speeds 78mbs to 200mbs.

If you do a search for Home plug adapters you should be able to find what you want and what you can afford.

You could mix and match the plugs and wireless adapters to load balance the bandwidth I suppose.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Homeplug advice please

You will require one at the router and then depending on location, one for every other PC you want to connect.

There are lots out there and you can pick up some good deals on e-bay, there are some Commtel ones that are sold by people who get them free with BT that can go for as little as 10-15 each.

If you have two PC's near each other then you could just fit a switcher to the homeplug, this will allow you to connect more than one PC at a time and may save you some 's

Anything 85mbps or higher will be fine and you won't need youe blekin adaptors if you are using homeplugs as you won't be using wireless anymore. They should also come with the ethernet cable which is usually about 1mtr.