Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless bridge to Sagem 2504

This is a discussion on How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless bridge to Sagem 2504 within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Does anyone know how to connect these two pieces of hardware together via a wireless bridge? I have upgraded the ...

timmyh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +4401905
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless gaming adapter to Sagem 2504

Does anyone know how to connect these two pieces of hardware together via a wireless bridge?

I have upgraded the Firmware on the F5D7330 to the latest version and can create a join to my Sky router via WPA....which is according to the Belkin instructions is all I need, it also has a static IP address, 192.168.2.1. The IP address of my Sagem Router is 192.168.0.1 and is issuing IP address via DHCP.

Does any one know the setup required on the Sagem 2504, Firmware sky1.9 to enable me to browse the internet via a PC connected to the Belkin F5D7330?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
      Last edited by timmyh; 31-12-09 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Title change

2. Advertisement
      timmyh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +4401905
      Thanks

Re: The 'SOLUTION' on How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless bridge to Sagem 2504

For the benefit of those who are struggling with these two pieces of hardware and trying to make them communicate with each other - here is my solution which was resolved with a very helpful support person at Belkin...

These are my settings:-

1) Log-on to your Sagem F@sr 2504 router

2) Using 'ADVANCED' tab and sub option 'LAN IP SETUP', set the ending IP address to be 192.168..0.220 and 'APPLY' this setting.

3) Log onto your Belkin F5D7330 via a PC and ethernet cable (ensure PC has a static IP address, I gave mine a 192.168.0.249, subnet 255.255.255.0, default Gateway 192.168.0.1 and a Primary DNS of 192.168.0.1, give the F5D7330 a static IP address of 192.168.0.250, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

4) Should now be able to ping Sky Router on 192.168.0.1, if you can then you should be able you get to the internet.

I hope this helps those out there that have struggled with these. I'm actually using the Belkin F5D7330 to connect my Panasonic Bluray BMP-BD60 to the internet wirelessly via the Sky Router - at last....

Brian1066 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How to connect a Wireless Bridge to Sagem 2504

I believe that the previous post can be expanded to provide a more generalized solution for Wireless Bridging between a Sagem Sky Router and another Wireless Access Point.

I use a Belkin F5D7230-4 and a F5D7231-4 as two remote Wireless APs (these are actually Wireless G Routers when used with an external ADSL or cable modem). They are much more versatile than a F5D7330 Wireless Bridge because they can be configured to disable the router functions and behave just the same as a Wireless AP and 5-Port Switch. Each can be connected to the Sagem Router either by an ethernet cable or by Wireless Bridging and the 5-Port Switch can be used for four or five wired ethernet devices at a remote location.

Before trying to set up a Wireless Bridge, the remote device should be configured as an Access Point with a suitable fixed IP address in the LAN address range of the Sagem Router (as detailed in the previous post).

Then, there are four requirements for configuring a Wireless Bridge:-

1. Both devices must use the same fixed Wireless Channel (but their SSID's can be different).

2. Both devices must use the same WEP Encryption Key (or be unencrypted). Note that Wireless Bridging does not work with WPA/WPA2 encryption, so the Sagem Router may need to be changed from the Sky default.

3. If MAC Address Filtering is used on either device, the MAC Address of the other end of the Wireless Bridge must be added to the appropriate 'Allowed' list.

4. One of the devices must be configured to initiate the Wireless Bridge by 'polling' the MAC Address of the other device. (For a Belkin F5D7330 Wireless Bridge, only the SSID of the host router is entered during setup and its MAC address is found automatically.)

To determine the appropriate information for requirements 1,3,4 it is best to download and run 'inSSIDer' (or another wireless survey tool) on a laptop, or a PC with an 802.11 wireless interface.

This will show graphically the best Fixed Wireless Channel to use (1, 6 or 11) with least congestion from neighbours. Also, it will display the MAC Addresses you need for the Wireless ports of your two devices.

(For a Sagem 2504(2404), the WLAN MAC is one higher than the Base LAN MAC listed on the Sky label.)
      (For a Belkin F5D7230-4, the WLAN MAC is one higher than the LAN MAC of the 5-Port Switch.)
      (For a Belkin F5D7231-4, the WLAN MAC is the same as the LAN MAC of the 5-Port Switch.)

The Wireless Bridge configuration procedure is:-

1. Change the Wireless Channel of both devices from 'Auto' to your preferred fixed channel number.

2. Change the Wireless Encryption of both devices to WEP and set the same WEP Key (or set both to unencrypted until the wireless bridge is working).

3. If MAC Address Filtering is used, add the MAC address of the other end of your bridge to the appropriate 'Allowed' list.

4. Because the Sagem Router does not have a 'Wireless Bridging' menu (mine has been flashed with Sagem 2404 firmware), the other device must initiate the bridge connection.

For a Belkin F5D7230-4 or F5D7231-4 used as an Access Point, Wireless Bridging is configured as follows:-
      4.1. Tick the box 'Enable Wireless Bridging'.
      4.2. Tick the box 'Enable ONLY specific Access Points to connect'.
      4.3. Enter the WLAN MAC of the Sagem Router into AP1 of the Specific Connections list.

Note! Do not use a connecting cable between the two devices and a wireless bridge at the same time!

Hopefully, this procedure will also work for a Sagem Router with Sky firmware.

dhil1on is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Thanks

Question Re: How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless bridge to Sagem 2504

Hi, I'm after a similar solution, I have the Sagem 2504 downstairs. I have bought a Tenda wireless access point router which I would like to use upstairs to connect my Xbox to the internet.
      I have tried following what has been said so far but I am not having much luck.
      I have disabled DHCP on the Tenda, and assigned the same channel and wireless security to both devices.
      But the problem I'm having is assigning the Tenda a static ip and filling in the default gateway and subnet mask and dns 1 and dns 2 parts?

My sky routers login is default but what is my gateway.

Furthermore, the Tenda has WDS and allows me to put the router into bridge/repeater/lazy mode which is the most suitable here for me?
      I would really appreciate any help I'm so frustrated trying to sort this out!

Thanks

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: How to connect a Belkin F5D7330 wireless bridge to Sagem 2504

The OP's problem looks like one of simple IP assignments, your router and access point aren't using the same IP range. (as denoted by the 3rd number on the address)

you'll need to change the Belkin to 192.168.0.xxx (I sugsest 200) or the router to 192.168.2.xxx (again I'd suggest 200)

personally I'd go with changing the Belkin's IP address, if then doesn't work there is another problem but currently you need to get all your devices onto the same range first.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The OP solved his problem and got it working.

But the problem I'm having is assigning the Tenda a static ip and filling in the default gateway and subnet mask and dns 1 and dns 2 parts?
      You should not need to worry about DNS servers in the Tenda, if you have turned off DHCP, all you need to do is change its IP address. I think by default this will be the same as the Sky router so change the last octet to 254. so that its address is 192.168.0.254. Subnet 255.255.255.0.

I think you should be using Bridging, but if it does not work try repeater. Turn off all security in the Sky router till you get it working. Then enable WEP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dhil1on is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Thanks

I'm not having any luck whatsoever! I'm going to return this router - as I dont think the sagem supports WDS or even allows you to do this?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The first 2 posters say it does.

It is a pity they appear to have disappeared into the sunset.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The reason why I did not give a suggestion for the Static IP Address of the Remote Access Point is because the default IP Ranges are different, depending on whether the Sagem Router has a version of the Sky Firmware, or has been re-flashed with the Sagem Firmware.

I thought that this would cause confusion, but perhaps I should have realized that some readers have less computing experience than I do, and so need simple guidance.

For a Sagem Router with Sky Firmware, the default IP Range is 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is 1 for the Router and between 2 and 254 for attached devices).

Dynamic IP Addresses are allocated to attached computers and other devices by the DHCP Server, starting from 2 at the low end of this range.

Hence, a good suggestion for the Static IP Address is 192.168.0.200 (with Mask 255.255.255.0).

With this Static IP Address, you are very unlikely to get an address conflict with another device that is given a Dynamic IP Address by the DHCP Server in the Router.

To be pedantic, you could change the Maximum IP Address of the Pool used by the DHCP Server to a value lower than the Static IP Address, but this should not be necessary unless you have more than 198 network devices!

--------------------------------------------------

If you have fought your way through the re-flashing procedure to use the Sagem Firmware, you probably understand more about IP addresses (or have followed the procedure with blind faith!).

With the Sagem Firmware, the default IP Range is 192.168.1.xxx.

In this case, a good suggestion for the Static IP Address is 192.168.1.200 (with Mask 255.255.255.0).

--------------------------------------------------

As an aside, some other Routers (e.g. Zoom X5) come pre-configured with Virtual Servers that use Static IP Addresses at the top end of the address range, so avoid addresses above xxx.xxx.xxx.250.

Other Routers leave a block of Static IP Addresses at the bottom end of the address range and start the DHCP Address Pool above this area.

If in doubt, check the Address Pool settings used by the DHCP Server in your Router.

Thanks

Since writing my earlier post in this thread as a guide to Wireless Bridging, I have found that there may be some differences as to how WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is implemented in some other Routers and Remote Access Points.

Although I had suggested previously that the Wireless SSID could be different between the Router and the Remote Access Point (because it works this way with my configuration), this may not be true for all WDS enabled devices.

When the two SSIDs are exactly the same, any laptop or other wireless device should be able to transfer seamlessly between the two wireless access points (i.e. select the strongest signal) as its location is changed. This is a basic requirement of WDS.

If in doubt, set the SSID of the Remote Access Point to be the same as the SSID of the Router.

------------------------------------------------------------

Because I do not have access to a Sagem Sky Router with Sky Firmware, I cannot say whether WDS is enabled or disabled by default.

In some other Routers (e.g. 3Com Office Connect), WDS is disabled by default and needs to be enabled by ticking the appropriate box in the 'Advanced Wireless Setup' screen.

It can be useful to examine the backup configuration file for the Router (i.e. by saving the configuration to a file on your computer and then opening it with Notepad).

With the Sagem Firmware, mine includes the following text string: bridgeRestrict="disabled"

If a Sagem Sky Router with Sky Firmware has bridgeRestrict="enabled" (or something similar), try changing it to "disabled" with Notepad (not in WordWrap mode). Then, load this revised configuration file into your Router and restart it.

Even with the Sagem Firmware, this Router does not have a setup screen to configure WDS.

However, the saved configuration file suggests that up to four Wireless Access Points can be preset because it includes the following parameter strings:- wdsMAC_0="" wdsMAC_1="" wdsMAC_2="" wdsMAC_3=""

Hence, another trick worth trying would be to edit the configuration file and enter the MAC Address of your Wireless Access Point into the first of these parameters.

The inserted MAC Address should use colons between each of the six hex pairs and capital letters.

For example:- wdsMAC_0="00:1A:2B:3C:4D:5E"
      Last edited by Brian1066; 28-04-10 at 08:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast