Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

can't connect to another lap top

This is a discussion on can't connect to another lap top within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; my old laptop is fine, but my secondhand new lap top just won't connect. All my settings are correct but ...

intercityuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy can't connect to another lap top

my old laptop is fine, but my secondhand new lap top just won't connect. All my settings are correct but every 10 seconds it says "acquiring network address" then disconnects. It seemed to work before i downloaded windows sp3 update, maybe this has something to do with it. Sky don't seem to know what to do. Can anyone help !!!!?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: can't connect to another lap top

It seemed to work before i downloaded windows sp3 update,
      If it worked before the update and does not work now, I think the update has caused the problem. It is likely to be something it has done which is effecting your security software, firewall or AV. Here are a couple of things you can try-
      Open the run box and type services.msc and hit enter. This opens your Services panel. Scroll down and check that the DHCP client is Started and set to Automatic. Do the same with WZC.

Download and use Winsockfix from Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 - WinSockFix - A free Winsock/Tcp repair utility - Softpedia

This from MS fixes problems caused by conflicts with security software, - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en Download to your desktop and start in Safe Mode, double click the download and follow instructions. This is better done in Safe Mode to prevent security software interfering, which probably caused the problem in the first place.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.