Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Better connection with Xbox

This is a discussion on Better connection with Xbox within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I want to use sky player on my 360 but my connection fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars. I am ...

param is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Better connection with Xbox

I want to use sky player on my 360 but my connection fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars. I am currently connected wirelessley.

I was thinking of getting one of those antennas that focus in on a direction. My router is next to my front door so half of my signal is being wasted outside the house.

ANy advice on new antennas or where i can get them from?

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: Better connection with Xbox

Get an Ethernet cable fitted, far better tha wireless. or go get some Home plugs

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's to far to use an ethernet cable and i already have a pair of homeplugs. I'm pretty much out of sockets for homeplugs.

I thought the antenna might be a cheap and easy solution but don't really know which one to get.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think if you are going to do this you would have to improve the antenna on the Xbox adapter. Have you had a look at the xbox forums to see if anyone has done this?

Here is a selection of ways to improve wireless reception. Some of them are way out there, but it makes an entertaining read, even if you get nothing from it.
      http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

I agree with Joss though, adding a Homeplug to your network would give much better results.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Param, You say its to far to use Ethernet cable. How far is far? Using Cat 5 shielded twisted pair. You can comfortably run 100 metres with out problems.
      Yes it may take some care in routing the cable, but it is by far the best and most secure way forward.
      Have a think about the possibility of doing this. On one run I took the cable externally to one of the bedrooms via an existing conduit. Neat and tidy, plus the cable is protected. The rest of the cables where run when work was done to new Central heating pipes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The xbox is upstairs and the router is downstairs.

I might experiment with the homeplugs i already have in an extension plug and if hey work ok, maybe just get another pair.

Thanks

You don't need another pair, you can add units as you need them. Just make sure you get the same type of plug as they are not all compatible with one and other.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Supasox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellington
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
      Param, You say its to far to use Ethernet cable. How far is far? Using Cat 5 shielded twisted pair. You can comfortably run 100 metres with out problems.
      Yes it may take some care in routing the cable, but it is by far the best and most secure way forward.
      Have a think about the possibility of doing this. On one run I took the cable externally to one of the bedrooms via an existing conduit. Neat and tidy, plus the cable is protected. The rest of the cables where run when work was done to new Central heating pipes.
      I must agree with Joss. I ditched WiFi completely and went 100% ethernet using Cat6 external cable as some of the cable runs are external. The hardest part is routing the cable and it can be a lengthy job but it's well worth it. I fitted wall plates with network sockets in the wall in the living room and two bedrooms. If you run out of ports on your router (I did!) then you can buy an inexpensive ethernet switch. It's best to buy bulk cable on a reel and there are wiring guides online - the only new tool you'd need is a punch-down tool (I got mine from Screwfix.com)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have theseNOVATECH 85MBPS POWERLINE TWIN Novatech 85Mbps PowerLine Adapter, Twin Pack, Turns Any Electrical Outlet into a Home Network Connection : novatech.co.uk

but have no idea where i can get a single one from. Are there any other brands this would be compatible with?

Thanks

In theory these should be compatible with any other which complies to the Homplug 1.0.1 standard, ie, almost any make which operates at 85mbps. Unfortunately theory and practise are two different beasts. Unless you actually tried it, you could not be sure it was going to work. If you had a friend who could lend you one to try it would be helpful. This one should be fully compatible with yours.

Where do you use the other homeplug? If it were close enough, you could connect one of these to it to give you extra ports to plug in your consoles. Netgear FS605 Platinum Series 5 Port 10: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast