Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Acquiring Network Address problem

This is a discussion on Acquiring Network Address problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My broadband recently got activated, and it all worked fine............for a couple of hours, then it started dropping connection and ...

EpicTracks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Acquiring Network Address problem

My broadband recently got activated, and it all worked fine............for a couple of hours, then it started dropping connection and kept saying "acquiring network address" sometimes it wont even pick up the router at all, but the laptop and wii both work fine on it. I've tried turning off UPnP and updating drivers and so on. I'm using a Belkin Wireless G 802.11g card. It's driving me insane. I phoned sky for help, and they told me my line was still awaiting provision which makes no sense, so they put me through to provisioning and they told me it was active which i knew so it was pointless. Anyone got any solutions as to why it won't work on this one pc.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

Re: Acquiring Network Address problem

Try this- using a wired connection go into the router settings and click the Wireless settings link. Opposite 'Mode' use the drop down box to change it to 'g only'. Now go to the Channel numbers and change the channel to No. 13. If this does not work, go down through the channels until you find one that does.

If you have any thick or foil insulated walls between the PC and the router the reception can be greatly reduced. A wired connection will always be faster and more stable than wireless, so especially if you are a gamer, use an ethernet connection wherever possible. Many use a Homeplug network, which is faster and more stable than wireless, HomePlug AV | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

EpicTracks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I've tried it and to no avail. The only way it's letting me connect is to take down the security of the router, and I really really don't want to do that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,482 Posts

In that case your security key is wrong. If you are using the default key, it should be 8 capital letters, no numbers. If you have changed it try temporary changing it to something very simple like 1234abcd.

Also check that your PC is using the correct encryption, it may be trying to use WEP when WPA-TSK is required, or vice-versa.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What operating system are you running?

(I've had this same problem with a belkin adapter myself on an xp machine, so I should be able to help you.)