Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How wireless is wireless?

This is a discussion on How wireless is wireless? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, My first time on these boards, so apologies in advance if I'm asking a daft question... anyway, here ...

ratechaser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How wireless is wireless?

Hi all,

My first time on these boards, so apologies in advance if I'm asking a daft question... anyway, here goes.

The question is - why do I have to physically connect my new wireless router to my PC with an ethernet cable as part of the set up process?

As a newbie to wireless routers, I made one fairly basic, and apparently incorrect, assumption that it did not require a hard connection to my PC. This is a big issue for me, as I don't have a phone point anywhere near my office, and was expecting not to have to start laying wires under the carpets etc...

So, am I a bit stuffed here, or is there something fundamental that I'm missing? Do I need to go and buy any extra equipment. I'd really appreciate any advice here!

Thanks
      RC

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: How wireless is wireless?

Do you have a wireless adapter in your PC? Most PCs come complete with ethernet adapters but few, apart from laptops, have wireless fitted as standard. Let us know what you have and what OS you are using. You can check what adapters you have installed by going to the Device Manager and expanding the Network Devices section. If you have a USB adapter it will not show unless it is plugged in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

you need a ethernet connection to set it up because the ethernet has no security so you can get into the router to set the settings.
      you then add the wireless network to your pc with the settings you put in, and unplug the ethernet, so you can connect by wireless

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Providing that you get the security code right first time when you try to connect wirelessly to your router and providing the signal from your pc to your router is strong then you may connect wirelessly first time.

The reality is that wireless can be notoriously fickle in the way that it connects or doesn't. So to do the setup, and to be honest most of the router settings are already done for you, it is much easier and much more reliable to connect via an ethernet cable initially. The big advantage of connecting via a cable is that you don't need any security coding so it makes it much easier to connect to your router. I'm not sure that sky put the security code into the router or not, they do preprogram your user name and password into the router. If you need to set up the security connecting via a cable means that you can easily get back into your router if ytou mess the security up and as most of do mess that up sky have said to connect via a cable.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

With the Sky router there isn't any setup necessary. If your PC has wireless, which I'm assuming it does, then all you need to do is locate the wireless network, identified by the SSID on your supplied card and enter the network key as the password.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

yes but you should really change the settings

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skypaulusplus View Post
      yes but you should really change the settings
      First things first, lets get the guy connected.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

well, going back to the original question.
      ethernet is used to setup as it is a secure and constant connection , wher wirles can go off during setup.

you dont need any other equiptment if you have a wireless usb stick/pc card on you computer.

firstly, connect up to your router via ethernet
      go to 192.168.0.1
      then login with admin/sky
      under wireless settings, change the ssid, choose wpa2-psk further down
      change your wireless key, you could use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for a random passkey.
      write these settings down. disconnect the ethernet.
      create a new wireless connection. search for your ssid and connect, enter the passkey you wrote down before.
      you should now be connected via wirless to your router
      good luck

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the crucial question is, does the OP have a wireless adapter? He/she has not indicated yet whether they have or not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ratechaser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Erm, 'not' I think is the answer! Although I'm just about to hop off to pcworld and pick one up. I was obviously having a bit of a muppet moment yesterday, as if I had persevered with the setup process, you do then get directions on how to go wireless as well... ah well.

Thanks for everyone's help here. Would be a bit less embarassing if I didn't run an IT department, but then, infrastructure has never been my thing... at least I don't have pointy hair and an employee called Wally...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast