Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Sky Broadband.

This is a discussion on Slow Sky Broadband. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello everyone. This is my first post so please forgive me if I've posted it in the wrong place etc. ...

lipstick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920 734
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Slow Sky Broadband.

Hello everyone.

This is my first post so please forgive me if I've posted it in the wrong place etc.

I've got Sky Unlimited and two computers. A wireless laptop and an ethernet connected computer. Both are very slow when used individually and sometimes impossible to use together. To watch a video or anything, well forget it (lol).

Just checked the statistics and they are

CONNECTION SPEED 145kbs (downstream) 278kbs (upstream)
      LINE ATTENUATION 60.5db (downstream) 38.3db (upstream)
      NOISE MARGIN 9.5db (downstream) 8.5db (upstream)

Can anyone give me any advice. It's mostly Double Dutch to me. These days mother's have to be computer experts as well to survive the week (lol).

Most grateful for any replies!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow Sky Broadband.

Well your connection speed is pants as you are already aware.
      Your line attenuation shows you have a very long line to the exchange, however you should be able to connect at around 2500 to 3000 kbps as long as there are no issues with your line.
      The noise margin shows that there are either issues with the line or Sky have capped you as it should ideally be around 7.
      How long have you been with Sky ? If you are a new customer then it is quite likely that a process called DLM is running which will try to detect the best speed for your line and it could be this that has got you set low. If you are a long term customer it is also likely that this process is running as they are rolling it out to all users.
      If this process is running it is important that you do not switch off the router as this can be seen by the process as a problem and will reduce sync speed.
      Also if possible could you supply a set of stats from the test socket as a change in the noise margin when you do this would indicate a problem with your internal phone wiring.
      I assume your router is plugged directly into the master socket, you are not using extensions and you have filters on every piece of equipment plugged into the telephone system.
      HTH

Thanks

Thank you HTH for the reply. Yes, it is pants (lol).

It is plugged into the Master socket and filters are in use. Been with Sky for 2 years but moved house about 10 months ago. The street I live in has only existed for about over a year, so all the BT wiring outside/inside the house is very new etc.

I guess I will have to phone Sky. Oh well (lol). Thanks again for the expert opinions HTH.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Lol - HTH means "hope this helps" its not my name
      A check of the stats in the test socket will give us a better idea.
      Even though its new wiring doesnt mean it not the source of the problem.
      By all means phone Sky but if it is the wiring then they wont be able to do anything.
      Have a look at this thread for more info on internal wiring etc - Cabling and faceplate help
      The orange ring wire if connected can be a cause of problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think it is another case of ADSL2+ being put on a line that is just not suitable for it. When you check your internal wiring, phone Sky and ask them to take you off ADSL2+ and put you on G.DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hello and thanks for the help and advice.

Just used the test socket and got exactly the same connection speeds and line attenuation as when pluged in normally. A very slight variation 0 .1db in the noise.

I hope this is good news and 'hopefully' a phone call to Sky should sort this. Or is this wishful thinking.

Laura

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lipstick View Post
      Hello and thanks for the help and advice.

Just used the test socket and got exactly the same connection speeds and line attenuation as when pluged in normally. A very slight variation 0 .1db in the noise.

I hope this is good news and 'hopefully' a phone call to Sky should sort this. Or is this wishful thinking.

Laura
      Just phone sky and ask them to put you back onto G.DMT as ADSL2+ does not seem to like your line, once through to CST it would only take seconds to change.