Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless speed confusion

This is a discussion on wireless speed confusion within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i will appreciate help on my wireless speeds. 1. laptop A connects at 54mbps no problem (wpn511 net gear) 2.laptop ...

iqh
      iqh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: south harrow
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

wireless speed confusion

i will appreciate help on my wireless speeds.
      1. laptop A connects at 54mbps no problem (wpn511 net gear)
      2.laptop B connects at 11mbps only? (usb wg111v2 adaptor)
      Why is the speed on laptop B limited to 11
      Is there anything i can do to achieve 54.
      thanking you in advance.
      ih

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: wireless speed confusion

Hi iqh.

The wpn511 is a high power card using Mimo technology, whatever that is. Suffice to say that laptop A is using a more powerful adaptor.

What wireless cards and dongles (usb) do when the wireless signal drops, as it will do depending on what's between the adaptor and the router or the distance between the adaptor and the router increases, is they reduce the speed of the connection in an attempt to keep the connection stable. As I said laptop A is using a more powerful adaptor than laptop B which only has a standard usb wireless dongle. I do not know what the distance of the two laptops is or what is between either of them and the router but wireless connection is pretty much a load of rubbish at the best of times. Probably the easiest way to speed up laptop B is to get a similar high powered wireless adaptor.

That's roughly it. My explanation is a bit simplistic and someone on here can no doubt give you chapter and verse on the theory of wireless technology but basically thats why laptop B is slower than laptop A.

Hope that helps.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The WG111 is a 54mbps card. The wpn511 although a faster adapter will only be fast if used in conjunction with a matching Rangemax router, it will operate at the same speed as the WG111 when using the Sky router.

There is a couple of things which can be causing the problem. The first is that it needs a USB 2 port to operate at its full speed. Is the port you are using USB 2 and are the proper drivers installed for it.
      The second possibility is that you are using a version of XP or Win 2000 which has not been updated to the latest Service Pack.

Check these out and if you still have problems, disable the WPN511 on laptop A and install the WG111. If you have the same problem, the adapter is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

iqh
      Thanks

Thanks guys for response. The conclusion is that laptop A is usb1. and therefore limiting the speed. On the same token Laptop B is also usb1 but has pcmcia card therefore giving 54mbps speed. Perhaps the option is to get pcmcia adaptor for Laptop B. My Router is sky netgear DG834GT white.Any recomendation for cheap and cheerful one will be appreciated.
      thanks again for very positive input guys!

Thanks

This one is a cheap as you will find-
      WiFi / Wireless Network 802.11g PCMCIA Laptop Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

This one is a bit more expensive but should work well with your router.
      Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card 54 Mbps: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi again

Yes those adaptors are okay. I have found that the pcmcia cards tend to be slightly better than the usb dongles. The router you have is a 108 Mbps router, the standard Sky router

(WIRELESS BROADBAND ROUTERS - DG834GT
      108 Mbps Super G™ Wireless ADSL Modem Router
      Up to 10 x faster than 802.11b (11 Mbps) wireless devices, the DG834GT provides superior untethered wireless connectivity to the Internet, corporate network resources and shared files, movies or music.)

That's the netgear blurb on that router, sounds good dunt it LOL.

Those cards are 54 Mbps so you would never run at the theoretical max speed that the router is capable of as far as your wireless connection is concerned.

Having said that wireless is notoriously bad and the eventual speed will depend on how good the signal is. This will depend on how far away the laptops are from the router and what is between the laptops and the router so you may not see any improvement.

I think I would tend to swop the two adaptors around first and see if the difference in speed swops with the adaptors and if it does then buy the same card as the good one you have. If the speed does not change significantly after the swop then other factors are having an effect on your speeds and these can be many and varied with wireless unfortunately.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with Isitme's advice but personally I would do a few more tests before I paid out for a new card. I have tended to not worry too much about the speed of a wireless connection. If the dang thing connects with no drop outs thats usually as good as it gets.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

Thanks

If the laptops only have USB 1.1, there is only two options. Fit a wireless PCMIA adapter or fit a PCMIA USB 2 adapter, and use the existing WG111. The second may be the best option as it would be useful for connecting other USB2 devices.
      Something like - CardBus USB 2.0 4 port PCMCIA PC Card Adapter Power [p58] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

It would do no harm to try the PCMIA card in the second laptop, just to test that it will improve the reception.

TomD

Useful Utilites

iqh
      Thanks

Thanks again Isitme and pete.i for very thoughtful advise.Yes have cross checked the card with other laptop and get 54 mbps!!. But have taken the advise of getting usb 2. pcmcia adaptor as this will help for device with usb2.
      Thanks again guys!!!