Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Connection Drops On Every Reboot

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection Drops On Every Reboot within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am working a little blind here as I do not have direct access to the computers affected, so bear ...

mrtuft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chesham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Connection Drops On Every Reboot

I am working a little blind here as I do not have direct access to the computers affected, so bear with me.

Have just set up Sky Broadband for my folks, one desktop & one laptop, both accessing the router wirelessly & both using XP. Both computers found 'Sky' first time & having entered the WPA code provided, voila....internet connection as hoped!

The laptop is still connected fine, but for some reason, each time the desktop is rebooted, they're getting the old 'limited or no connection' error message. The only thing that seems to resolve the problem is if they go into 'view available wireless connections', then select 'Sky', disconnect it, then reconnect and re-enter the WPA key....then the Internet is available again no problem. Re-boot the PC though and same problem is back.

There's obviously no problem with the broadband or the router (that I can tell) due to the laptop having no problems at all, so am guessing there's a problem with the desktop and it's wireless settings. It is also in the room next to the router with the laptop much further away upstairs, so distance doesn't appear to be an issue either.

Could it be a 'channel' issue or could Windows Auto Updates be affecting things?

Cheers, Nick

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Wireless Connection Drops On Every Reboot

If you are not already using it, try the Windows wireless manager instead of the one supplied with the adapter. To do this go to the Control Panel, Network connections. Right click your Wireless adapter and choose Properties. Click the Wireless Networks tab and tick the box at the top next to 'Use windows to manage my wireless network'. Follow through to set the connection up. Make sure you choose WPA and elect to supply the key.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion, but have checked & Windows is already managing the Wireless Network. I did notice that on booting up their PC that Windows Update tries to kick in almost instantly & once I have reconnected to the Internet, have notice that Windows is trying to download & install a 250MB service pack update, so am wondering if this is tripping the connection out?

I am downloading the update now, so will see if the situation changes once done. Have noticed that the Channel setting is set to Auto on the router stats, so will try and change this to a specific number as well to see if this helps.

Cheers, Nick

Thanks

There is a good chance the Update will help. Sp 3 contained several wireless enhancements.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Probably not in this case as it was the Office SP2 update...haha!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still no joy. No more Windows updates to install, have tried changing the channels on the router, but still after every reboot, although is says it's connect to 'Sky*****' and that the signal is 'excellent', it still won't connect to the internet unless I disconnect from 'Sky*****' and re-connect by entering the Network Key again. After that it's all fine.....until the next reboot.

Have searched all over the net, but most people having similar problems have to reboot to resolve it, not the other way round. The previous wireless connection (Pipex) didn't cause this problem, only since installing Sky. The other laptop in the house doesn't have the same problem.

I have also reinstalled the wireless network card, but no joy here either!

Thanks

When it says its connected, can you connect to the router, ie, when you put 192.168.0.1 in the address bar can you bring up the router configuration pages. If you can, it may be a security problem. Some programs will do this and give you no warning it is doing so. You could try using msconfig to stop them running at startup, if you get a connection, you will know where the problem is. You could then try uninstalling and reinstalling your firewall and AV while you are connected by wireless.

TomD

Useful Utilites