Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Acquiring network address!

This is a discussion on Acquiring network address! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have recently started using my sky sagem router, and it works fine for the PC it is connected ...

lorme86653 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Acquiring network address!

Hi, I have recently started using my sky sagem router, and it works fine for the PC it is connected directly to, and my xbox whixh is connected wirelessly. However when i try to connect my acer laptop, it finds the network, accepts the network key, and starts connecting, then it says acquiring network adress, but stays like that for good, if i connect manually it says 'waiting for network to be ready' my laptop works fine on my old router, can anyone help me with this??

2. Advertisement
      exorcist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Acquiring network address!

That message means that the computer is trying to find an available ip address via dhcp.

Try opening a command prompt and typing the following commands then restart laptop and try connecting.

ipconfig /release /all

ipconfig /flushdns

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, i tried using the commands, but still the same problem, if it helps any more when im looking at the number of bytes, the signal bar flashes on and back off every second, thanks very much for trying to help, but have you got anymore ideas??

Also do you think giving my laptop a permanent ip would help? if so whats the range of IP's i could use, cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try giving the laptop fixed IP addresses. Use 192.168.0.100 for your LAN adapter and 192.168.0.200 for your wireless adapter. Subnet 255.25.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1, for both.

What you describe can be caused by using the wrong network key. To check this go to the routers wireless settings, and in the Security Options, click Disable. If you are then able to connect it is down to the network key.

You might also want to try changing the channel and Mode in the router. Change the Mode to 'g only' and the channel to No 13. Work your way down from there until you get the best result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It was the network key! I disabled it and it works now, however everytime i put a network key on, it stops it from connecting, any idea why this is?? thanks for the help so far
      Last edited by lorme86653; 28-09-09 at 05:45 PM.

Freedom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: IPSLEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

the laptop is NOT set up correctly. Make sure all details are correct, including open / closed wpa-psk mode etc etc

somethign is wrogn on the wireless settings on the laptop. I would also remove the static ip while testing this theory!

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, sorry to be a pain, but im quite new to networking, and from what you have said im not sure where to look, or what im looking for? if you someone could give me a little bit of insight i would really appreciate it, i am on xp, just point me in the right direction, cheers
      Last edited by lorme86653; 28-09-09 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

I would leave your IP settings as they are, they will do no harm.

Were you using the default Sky network key? If so it consists of 8 capital letters, no numbers.

Are you using the adapters Wireless Manager or the Windows one. If you are not using the Windows one, go to the Control Panel and open the Network Connections. Right click the icon for your Wireless adapter and select properties. Click the Wireless networks tab and at the top of the page tick 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'. It will then go through the process of setting up your connection. You will be given the option to choose your setup, select WPA-PSK for the Authentication and TKIP for the Encrytion. Type your network key in twice make sure your SSID is correct and thats it. Don't tick any other boxes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok, i have tried that and i still have the same problem... i have an ipod touch and a xbox 360 running so i don' think it can be how the router is set up can it? any more suggestions? I have my own network key which i am using, also, i dont know if it helps, but i connected once, but there was no signal. However when i connect with the network key disabled there are no problems

Thanks

What type of security have you set up in the router, WEP or WPA? Check that you are using the same in the laptop.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast