Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless problems - network key does not work

This is a discussion on Wireless problems - network key does not work within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm having a lot of problems setting up my Sky Broadband wireless. The box has been set up according to ...

dems106 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless problems - network key does not work

I'm having a lot of problems setting up my Sky Broadband wireless. The box has been set up according to the instructions, and when connected via the ethernet cable, it works fine.
      However, when I try to connect wirelessly, the SSID name is now shown: as far as I can tell, the box is shown only as 'SKY', minus the 5 digits (I'm guessing this because it has full reception.
      Then, when I try to enter the network key (full caps, as shown on box), the key is rejected.
      I have tried speaking to Sky, who tried to log me into the router on 192.168.0.1, which did not work - the username 'admin' and password 'sky' were not accepted. At this point I got cut off, and have not yet called back.
      I am using a new HP laptop with Windows Vista, and have been able to connect via wireless to other networks.
      Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems - network key does not work

Try a full reset on the router: Using a paperclip or similar press the reset button for at least 10 secs and allow the router to reset. When the router resets, click Start, Connect To and select the relevant SSID from the list. Make sure to type the Network Key in capitals (take it from the side of the router).

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless problems - network key does not work

However, when I try to connect wirelessly, the SSID name is now shown: as far as I can tell, the box is shown only as 'SKY', minus the 5 digits (I'm guessing this because it has full reception.
      You should see the full SSID. You may be trying to connect to another network. Go into the Wireless setting of the router and change the SSID to one unique to you. Something like ROBINHOOD. You will then know that you are trying to get on to the correct network.

Usually the best thing to do when you have difficulties with wireless is to disable the security in the router. Wireless Setting>Security Option, tick Disable. If you can then connect ,it is points to using the wrong security key.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.