Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection degradation

This is a discussion on Wireless connection degradation within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi - great forum, and some really useful threads..... I got a new laptop this week running vista with the ...

kidcrew_Bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless connection degradation

Hi - great forum, and some really useful threads.....

I got a new laptop this week running vista with the latest draft "N" spec wireless adapter - pretty decent spec etc. Picked up the Sky router automatically and off we went fine & dandy.

When in another room last night (about 5 yards & corridor away), noticed it being a bit sluggish when browsing so ran the ever trusty thinkbroadband speedtest to see what I was getting - to my horror I was only getting c800k down and the pretty normal 600 up!!!

Ran same again with laptop now half a yard from the router and got 14Mb d/l (which was faster than my wired desktop at 12Mb WTF????).

So, what would I need to tweak to get a healthy speed when in another room - it's a modern house with carboard walls so shouldn't prove that much of a physical challenge to the signal surely !!!

I've read the stickies but these seem more about overall speed of the ISP link and/or the wireless just not working and not about degradation as such....

Any help gratefully appreciated ahead of me fiddling tonight (going to change the channel as the room where the speed drops is nearer to the neighbours who have a BT router that I noticed when I picked up the Sky router initially)...or is this a waste of time given the 14Mb I know it's capable of...?

ATB

Bob

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless connection degradation

Try changing the channel, or download Inssider from the link below, find out what your neighbours are using and choose a different one.

I don't care how good the specs of your laptop is, if it is getting a better download speed than your wired PC, then something is wrong with your PC settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the rapid response Tom - I'll go for the channels then in the first instance. Like you say, it seemed a nonesense to be reporting 14 Mb wireless vs 12 Mb wired - I'd be happy with half that wireless.......see what transpires...

What would be a reasonable expectation for wireless where we get a good 10-12Mb most of the time on the hardwired service.....

Cheers

Bob

Thanks

What would be a reasonable expectation for wireless where we get a good 10-12Mb most of the time on the hardwired service.....
      It is difficult to say. What you could try, is doing a speed test wireless, then turn the wireless off and do a test using an ethernet cable. Do them on the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester it is as consistent as any you will find and a lot more accurate than some.
      If the speed is much higher than the wired PC, then you should have a try at optimising it. If you are running XP, then try doing the Tweak Test from the DrTCP link below. If it makes recommendations, download the application to carry them out. There are also recommendations for Vista on the site, but normally it is pretty well optimised out of the box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice one - I'll give it a go.....many thanks

Bob

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks to a family invasion, I didn't get chance to check channels last night BUT tried it upstairs (similar distance to the lounge) and got a great 12Mb d/l speed.......so appears to be a definate degredation on one side of the house (and nearer to the neighbours router). Another thing I failed to mention was that I have a PS3 sat in the lounge also - would that "poll" or otherwise contend for the router bandwidth, even if not being used in anger?? Would this also be a candidate for channel clash??

Cheers

Bob

Thanks

Would this also be a candidate for channel clash??
      No, and unless it is actually down/uploading it will not be competing for bandwidth. If you are in any doubt, you could always switch it off and see if it makes any difference. Your problem seems to be with your next door neighbour's router. If you find a channel well away from it, you should be OK.

TomD

Useful Utilites