Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Adaptor

This is a discussion on Wireless Adaptor within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; HELP I have recently brought a new computer, a Packard Bell Imedia with Windows Vista. I have tried to install ...

bhahoju is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Wireless Adaptor

HELP

I have recently brought a new computer, a Packard Bell Imedia with Windows Vista.

I have tried to install netgear onto the computer but get a message saying no driver detected. I can connect to internet via ethernet cable with no problems but need to be able to use wireless connection as computer will be in different room to main connection. I've downloaded an update for netgear but when I connect the adaptor nothing happens (I know the USB ports work as I've tried other usb devices in them) any ideas what the problem could be?????

Will I have to buy a new Netgear package/adaptor?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Adaptor

Go to the Programs and features and uninstall the Netgear software. Reboot your PC after doing the uninstall to be sure everything has been removed. Use the latest driver you have downloaded and if you get the choice do not install the Netgear Wireless Manager, choose to use the Windows one. Do not insert the adapter in your PC until you are told to do so during the installation procedure. Plug the adapter directly into one of the motherboard ports, don't use a hub.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Adaptor

I've managed to solve the problem, thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've managed to solve the problem, thanks
      It helps other users if you say how.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I uninstalled everything like you said and then I re-installed the updated Netgear software that I had downloaded.

When prompted I inserted the "WG111T Adaptor" into the motherboard port but it still wouldn't work, so I removed the adaptor and then re-inserted it.

A windows box came up asking if I would like to browse to install the device or automatically install it, I choose to do it automatically but it found nothing I then decided to browse to find the driver and found it tucked away in the Netgear folder.

I followed the wizard and then typed in my SSID name and password and it connected fine to the internet from there.