Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Password - ASCII or Hex Format ?

This is a discussion on Password - ASCII or Hex Format ? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I am trying to sort a problem out for a friend. His Belkin wireless connector has failed and he ...

John Boy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Password - ASCII or Hex Format ?

Hi I am trying to sort a problem out for a friend. His Belkin wireless connector has failed and he has bought another brand (not sure which). Anyway, it asks for a password to connect to the Netgear router as encryption has been set on installation. I have used the password from the label on the underside of the router (8 letters) but it says that it must be either 5 or 13 ASCII, or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters. I have converted the 8 letters to hex but this only gives 16 characters, not 26 as requested.
      I have also tried to reset the password by hard wiring and using 192.168.0.1 but it will not show me the page re encryption. I hope that this is something simple to someone out there, as I have exhausted my limited knowledge on this.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Password - ASCII or Hex Format ?

It is looking for a WEP password. All new adapters support WPA, so either it is an old adapter or his OS needs updates. If he if running XP he should update to at least Sp2.

The alternate is to use WEP security in the router. To do this select WEP from the list under Security Options in the routers wireless settings, put a passphrase in the box and click 'Generate'. Select one of the keys it generates and use this as the password in the PC.

WEP is not too secure, getting WPA to work is the best way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

John Boy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Password - ASCII or Hex Format ?

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will give this a try.