Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird wireless/Lan issue

This is a discussion on Weird wireless/Lan issue within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I'm hoping it's an easy one, of course... ...

robrob24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Plus
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Weird wireless/Lan issue

Hi there, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I'm hoping it's an easy one, of course...

Netgear router lights are all on, all wires connected, on my laptop it says connected with excellent connection, 5/5 bars, however when I click on IE or Opera it just says cannot display this website, for any website. Bit weird as we had a different wireless at my last place which I just connected to straight away, everything saying exactly the same thing as it does with this new Sky one, except obviously I could view webpages.

So I tried putting a LAN line in, it said it was connected fine like it also used to at my old place, yet still no webpage.

Must be something in settings of my laptop? I don't get why this is happening if I could always connect to the wireless or LAN at my previous house.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Weird wireless/Lan issue

Are you able to connect with another PC/Laptop? If you are and are actually connecting to the router, it is most likely the settings in your laptop. To check this start in Safe Mode with Networking and try to connect. Use cable for this as the wireless drivers may not be loaded. If you are able to connect then your software firewall or AV are probably blocking the connection.

Check if you are connecting to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar. You should get the login panel, admin and sky take you to the settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Could it be that your PC has the Gateway set to the IP address of your previous router?
      Open a DOS window and enter ipconfig/all and post the results!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for the suggestions thus far - im at work so will have to experiment when I get home. Unfortunately there's no other laptop to try. It's confusing as I expected to be able to just connect to this new signal just like I did at my old room. I should've known it wouldn't be so straightforward...

Thanks

Just another point, you have updated the password, this would stop your wireless connecting but would not effect the ethernet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

unfortunately i have no use for the ethernet at the mo

Thanks

Sorry, I should probably just have said 'LAN cable', which you say you tried.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I knew what you meant, I only ever tried it to see if it worked.

You know if you click on the “set up your wireless” link on the left side of the page, how do you access that initial username/password screen? Maybe I need to go through that process?

Thanks

If you have not set up the password in your laptop that would not help, but it would not stop you connecting by cable. This tutorial explains how to set up your wireless.-
      Configure your Sky Netgear Router's Wireless Settings
      Probably the easiest way to check if this is causing the problem is to go into the wireless settings and disable Security.

On your laptop, right click the wireless icon in your tray and see if there is an option like 'Let windows manage my connection'. If there is select it and go on from there.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

basically i was doing this on behalf of a housemate. i rang sky who said we didnt have broadband set up on the package so i had to choose one of the 3 (base etc) in the end and theyre sending another wireless router. so that'll be another 8 days or something until its sorted.

im just confused as to why my laptop would say it is Connected, 5/5 bars etc etc if broadband hadnt been set up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast