Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Totally Stumped with Wireless

This is a discussion on Totally Stumped with Wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've finally admitted defeat and urgently seek assistance. My laptop died 2 days ago so I'm borrowing my mum's for ...

pmidds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Durham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Totally Stumped with Wireless

I've finally admitted defeat and urgently seek assistance. My laptop died 2 days ago so I'm borrowing my mum's for now. After updating it with all latest service packs and hotfixes using wired connection i tried wireless. That was 2 days ago and no luck since. I can see all available wireless networks in the street but when i try to connect to mine I just get the "waiting for the network" message for a minute then it closes.

I've tried disabling WPA, different channels, updated drivers for wireless NICand a few other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out at the moment.

Runing XP service pack 3 and this is the 1st time wireless has been used on it as my mum was still on dialup!

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Totally Stumped with Wireless

Have you selected Automatic DHCP? If not the laptop will wait for ever. If you have enabled DHCP (it's under TCP/IP in the WiFi Adaptors Properties box) then disable it and try a manual address. I suggest you try:

IP 192.168.0.20
      Sub Mask 255.255.255.0
      Gateway 192.168.0.1

Thanks

Tried doing both with no luck.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Bit obvious but you don't have the wifi card set to Ad-Hoc (which is PC to PC for just 2 computers) rather than full managed Infrastructure wifi?

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have seen this before when the wireless security setting have gone a bit wrong, try

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > right click Wireless Network Connections > Properties.
      Then click Wireless Networks Tab > ON the preferred networks highlight your network name, then click properties button below.
      On the Window that popped up, look that the box "The key is provided for me automatically" is UNCHECKED. then check its using the correct security (WPA or whatever ure router is set to & enter your encryption/network key manually (make sure you use the correct uppercase/lowercase thats on your network key). Then try connect

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe a bit obvious too, but in the Control Panel, Inernet Connection, select 'Never Dial a connection' There is an outside chance that it is looking for a dial up connection.

Also have a look at the Services and make sure all the Wireless protocols are started.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Maybe a bit obvious too, but in the Control Panel, Inernet Connection, select 'Never Dial a connection' There is an outside chance that it is looking for a dial up connection.

Also have a look at the Services and make sure all the Wireless protocols are started.
      I've got a feeling this will be what the problem is. The laptop is my mum's and she used to conenct to her university network via dial-up. I'll have to check this when I get home. I managed to get round this by installing a spare Belkin USB wifi dongle I found. This works although defeats the object of having a laptop with built-in wifi.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may also be the TCP Stack that is playing up. To fix this open a Command Prompt and do the following -
      Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

This may not be the cause but doing it will do no harm.

Downloading and using Netstumbler, link below, to find your best available channel is always a good idea.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.