Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

router problems :(

This is a discussion on router problems :( within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi all i got router problems (like alot of ppl i see) but i belive my is more area realated ...

nitromad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: warrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

router problems :(

hi all

i got router problems (like alot of ppl i see) but i belive my is more area realated

i can pick up about 16 yes 16 wireless networks in my area in doors,all seem to be on channel 1,6,11 so i set my to 3 but my wireless has gone down hill massively no matter what network channel im on ,close singal is nextdoor thats on channel 11 so i should be far eough away.

but even wireless is now impossable to use as an network but also wired is still ever so slow too ping the router avg is about 500ms most of times wireless its 75% packet loss an varius ms times.

i can't run wires around my home as i rent and not allowed to drill holes everywhere also with two young kids so can't just "lay" wires down,i got 5 items on wireless with furture upgrades planned so homeplugs out of question (cost and patibity).

in the year i lived at this new house with sky BB i never had this problem its almost as if wireless being jammed hehe but also router slow repose it worring

i know the normal of router and wireless inferance apart from the other networks i done all i can to rule them out and the test socket test and all that .i just can't under stand y in pass 2 days wireless is now usless unless 1meter from router and such slow repose time from router.

any one got any idea they can trow at me to try ??

thanks for reading and good day

nitromad

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: router problems :(

netstumbler, download it and run it. It will tell you what channels are in use by what and you may need to try each channel in turn not in use to see which is best for you.

Thanks

yeah that what i got somthing like called "wifi hopper" to find the networks and there channels ,ive also tryed all channels 1by 1 no change

thanks for help

Exchange:
      Thanks

If it's slow to repsond and you are getting issues on ethernet you need to get hold of Sky tier 1 to find out what is wrong. If it doesn't work well on ethernet it's not going to work at all well on wireless.

Thanks

thank i was on phone 3 times yesterday with no results,goa try again now.

atm everytime i change an setting on router the router will lock up i then got turn router on and off to be able to try diffent setting,even to change wireless channel i got restart the thing after or i can't connect

starting to think its the router but they said yesterday i have hard time getting them to replace it

thanks for help
      nitromad

Exchange:
      Thanks

The problem is that even if it's replaced you will still have a lot of issues with that ammount of wireless in your area. In what way is it locking up when you change something on the router? Are you making the changes on ethernet?

Thanks

hi

sorry only just able to get back on internet

yea i making these changes via laptop via cable an monitering wireless on my pc bit further away.

it locks up as in 192.168.0.1 won't load in browser at same time ping to same in cmd is high one point 1000ms untill i restart router.

tryed sky for pass hour got disconnected from them 3 times so i given up with them for now.

but i also notice on my laptop(right next to router) with wireless site program running i picked up pub "hotspot" about 100-150yards away at over 60% signal "power" at my router surely this not my wireless problem ?? sky told me even on same channel shouldn't afect my wireless.....yeah right. they also asked if im picking up bt home hub ,i asked y they said becuase they afects skys signal ??? am i being fed all lies or what ??

thanks so far

nitromad

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

they also asked if im picking up bt home hub ,i asked y they said becuase they afects skys signal ??? am i being fed all lies or what ??
      The new BT Hubs are Draft N and swamp everything around them, so they are not exactly lying.

Try Channel 13, this is sometimes good when all the others fail.

The bad news is wireless is only going to get worse as more and more start to use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hi sorry sky only just got internet back again.

this is what the pub "hotspot" is "N draft" so there my main problem i guess time to leave sky for virgin and use my own n draft kit i think then. oh well goodbye to the days when i sat in garden doing my work/surfing web and stuff

thanks everyone
      nitromad

Exchange:
      Thanks

In theory you can use your own "Kit" with the Sky equipment so there is no need to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast