Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extending broadband using repeater

This is a discussion on Extending broadband using repeater within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have been using Sky wireless broadband for a couple of years now, without any problems. I have built ...

adegeorge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Cool Extending broadband using repeater

Hi
      I have been using Sky wireless broadband for a couple of years now, without any problems.
      I have built a office in my garage and have run a newtork cable and power from the house to the garage,
      I now need to get internet access in garage.

The network cable goes starts from the utility room with a plug socket next to it ready for a repeater to the back of the garage which has power.
      My Sky Netgear router is located about 30 ft away from the end of the network cable, but I don't really want to move as I will have an awkward route to a phone line.

One option I though would be to put a repeater into utility and then the network cable would run from the back of the router to the garage giving my the access I want.
      On a previous thread a homeplug adaptor was recommended. The power to the garage runs of it's own fuse box which is spurred from the main fuse box - would this work? but would be a waste of the network cable.

Any feedback would be great, particularly around ease of set up of a repeater
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Extending broadband using repeater

The homeplug will work fine as long as it is using the same main fuse board (ie the same house wiring).

You could also just use a homeplug with a wireless access point built in to extend the wireless range in that area as well if needed.

adegeorge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

What set up is required for homeplug adaptors?

Thanks

The router connects as normal, then you use a ethernet lead (the yellow one that came with the router is fine) to connect from the router to the homeplug which is plugged into a mains socket. The you can plug a second homeplug in anywhere you want and just use another ethernet lead from there to the PC etc.

You can have as many homeplugs you like on the network, I use one for my PC, another for my Xbox and another for my laptop.

alpenator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The router connects as normal, then you use a ethernet lead (the yellow one that came with the router is fine) to connect from the router to the homeplug which is plugged into a mains socket. The you can plug a second homeplug in anywhere you want and just use another ethernet lead from there to the PC etc.

You can have as many homeplugs you like on the network, I use one for my PC, another for my Xbox and another for my laptop.
      Where can I obtain a Homeplug?

Thanks

You will need two as a minimum, one for the router and one for the PC, you can just keep adding them as needed, I use 4.

Try e-bay, you should get a pair of Solwise 95mb Turbo's for about 40-45, these are the ones I use.

You may also wish to get one with a wireless repeater built in, a nice easy way to extend your wireless signal where you need to, just have a look about, you should see lots.