Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Stable wireless connection suddenly stops working.

This is a discussion on Stable wireless connection suddenly stops working. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've got a problem with my laptop's wireless connection. Last week it suddenly stopped working. One day it was fine ...

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Stable wireless connection suddenly stops working.

I've got a problem with my laptop's wireless connection. Last week it suddenly stopped working. One day it was fine and I switched off. Next day I switched on and nothing. I set it up with no difficulty 2 years ago and it has never given a problem before. It still connects quite happily using a cable. It is a Dell Inspiron 1300, running XP home. My principal PC, not a laptop, still connects wirelessly without a problem.

I've uninstalled the relevant drivers and software, then reinstalled but to no effect. It still 'sees' the router. Statistics say that packets are being sent but nothing at all has been received. As far as I can see, all settings are correct. I'm beginning to think a hardware prob on the laptop. Device manager, which says everything is working, says it has a mini PCI card, presumably internal. Can this just die? And if so, is it easily replaced?

Any ideas/suggestions?
      TIA.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Stable wireless connection suddenly stops working.

Try giving your wireless adapter a fixed IP Address. Open your adapters Properties highlight TCP/IP and tick 'Use this IP Address' and enter.
      IP address 192.168.0.10
      Subnet 255.255.255.0
      Gateway 192.168.0.1

You can leave the server spaces empty or enter

Changing the mini-PCI card might be quite easy, but it depends on the actual laptop, how much has to be undone to remove and replace it. It is probably much easier to buy a USB adapter, which you can use on another machine if you wish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Some laptops make changing hardware like RAM and mini-PCI cards very easy. These have access bays on the underside of the laptop. Others make it very difficult by hiding everything under the keyboard which has to be removed first. I've fitted mini-pci cards into laptops that had the interface but not the card and it was very easy if you could access the interface. Expect to pay a few on ebay for a card.

If you decide to try other hardware I'd firmly recommend a PCMCIA card wireless adaptor as they seem to suffer less problems that USB apadptors. Again you can buy them off ebay for under 20.

However the idea of a fixed IP address and alternate DNS is a good, no cost, start. You might also try changing the wireless channel of the router as another source (broadcasting on the same channel may) have started locally. Try moving the Channel by about 5 units (ie 1 to 6 then try 11).

Or of course you could use Homeplug and your mains wiring to move the LAN around your location.

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Thanks for both your replies. I have now got it working, using a fixed IP address. Still don't know why it went wrong initially, tho'.