Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Vista/Sagem router - Connection problems both with ethernet and wireless

This is a discussion on Vista/Sagem router - Connection problems both with ethernet and wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, I have just this week transferred to Sky Mid from BT Broadband. I moved my PC (running Vista) ...

PaulL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Vista/Sagem router - Connection problems both with ethernet and wireless

Hello all,

I have just this week transferred to Sky Mid from BT Broadband. I moved my PC (running Vista) downstairs to connect by ethernet cable to setup the Sky broadband. The install went fine and I was able to connect by ethernet cable and wirelessly with no problems. I moved the PC back upstairs where it lives and tried to connect wirelessly. The Sky network was showing with a high signal but i was unable to connect.

I moved the back PC again to try and troubleshoot and was then unable to get online using the ethernet connection either. I endured a long, painful call to the Sky tech support helpline - they concluded it was a problem with my network adapters as the ping and loopback tests showed that the problem is with the PC not the router.

The router does seem to be working fine as I can connect using my laptop (running XP) and with my Wii. It seems to be a Vista issue. I never had any problems with my BT Home Hub.

I see there are quite a few people experiencing similar problems but I can't seem to find a thread where someone is unable to connect either by ethernet or wireless.

Can anyone help please? Let me know if I have omitted any important info and I will add it when I can.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Vista/Sagem router - Connection problems both with ethernet and wireless

Try uninstalling your adapters and reinstall them using the latest manufacturers drivers.
      If your adapters are the plug in type, remove them and plug them in again. If they are part of the board, ignore this as they cannot move.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

utilityplayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I've had a very similar problem but I can get my laptop to work via ethernet. My main PC broke down but we needed a PC so I bought a Laptop. I connected via the ethernet to the router and all was fine, my Playstation 3 was connected wirelessly and all was grand. I then tried to connect wirelessly on my laptop and had no joy. I had an hour's call to the Sky helpdesk who couldn't help. I took the laptop back to PC World and he uninstalled the wireless adapter, re-installed it and connected wirelessly (is this how you spell it) to their network. All good so I went home and expected it to work but no joy still.

The PC was fixed and is hard wired in to the router again, my PS3 in attached via wireless and my laptop is now gathering dust as it won't connect wirelessly. I have given up for the time being but if anyone has any clues how to sort this I would appreciate it.

I have messed around with the router trying various combinations of no WEP no security, different channels etc etc etc etc - done my head in totally.

DerekDomino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01608
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any further clues or ideas on this?

I switched to Sky today and all PCs connected and work fine apart from my daughter's laptop which is the only Vista (Home) machine in the house.

With WiFi it connects to the router (Sagem) but not the internet and I suspect a DHCP problem on the wireless interface.

If you ask Vista to run its diagnostic on the connection it says it can't connect to the router and the ethernet address of the nic doesn't show up in the router's table. The router log doesn't show any security messages so I'm pretty sure I've got the key in right as well (put it in about five times too!).

Connect it direct to the router with an Ethernet cable and it works perfectly.

In an attempt to stop the incessant whining (coming from the daughter, not the laptop ;-) I connected it to our work line which has a BT Home Hub -- straight in on the wireless and happily surfing.

So it has to be something weird about the Sagem router and Vista's dhcp (or maybe the nic drivers).

I've tried looking at this: Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
      but when I get into that area in the registry there's no {GUID} as specified so I stopped.

Any clues out there?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a couple of things to try.
      Make sure the HomeHub and Sagem are broadcasting on different channels as far apart as possible. There is a good chance the Hub is overpowering the Sagem, whose wireless is not too good at the best of times.

Give the Wireless LAN card a fixed IP address -
      IP Address...192.168.0.254
      Subnet ........ 255.255.255.0
      Gateway ......192.168.0.1
      Leave the rest blank.
      Make sure the Alternate configuration is set to 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically' which should still allow it to connect to other networks.

If that does not work, try temporary turning off the security in the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.