Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connecting two laptops via wireless for file sharing

This is a discussion on connecting two laptops via wireless for file sharing within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I am able to use WiFi successfully to connect to internet on both my home laptop & work laptop. ...

kaushal101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

connecting two laptops via wireless for file sharing

Hi,

I am able to use WiFi successfully to connect to internet on both my home laptop & work laptop.

But I am not able to share files between these two.

Basically I have shared a folder on my home laptop, which I am trying to view from my office laptop.

File & Printer sharing is enabled on both laptops.

Earlier I wasn't even able to ping IP address of my home laptop from my work laptop. So, I added a couple of rules in Sky Router firewall rules. So, now I am able to ping my home laptop from my work laptop. 192.168.0.3 is my home laptop, and 192.168.0.4 is my work laptop.

But still, file sharing doesn't seem to be working. I am not able to open the shared folder, or anything for that matter, when I try accessing \\192.168.0.3 (which is IP address of my home laptop).

Any idea how can I solve this?

Being my work laptop, its configured to use my organization's domain and I would not like to change this. So, I haven't tried setting up both laptops in the same workgroup. Since both laptops can access internet without any issues, I am assuming they can do file sharing without any domain/workgroup change as well. I hope I'm right.

Thanks.

Kaushal

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: connecting two laptops via wireless for file sharing

If you are trying to share files within your own network there is no need to set any rules in the router.
      This article from MS explains how to set up file sharing in XP, with a link to Vista should that be your OS.
      How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

If you are trying to access from outside your network, you will need to set up something like VPN, Logmein etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

To network all the computers would need to be in the same workgroup. However as your works computer has it's own settings it won't see (or be seen) by others using a different workgroup.

So you will need to find a different way - VPN has been suggested and may be a workable method.

I must admit when I have a similar situation I've swapped files using an SD card and physically moved the card between computers. Not as neat but very simple!

kaushal101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help.

I really feel like stupid right now. I had my firewall up and running on the home laptop. I just enabled exception for file & printer sharing on that firewall, and that's it. Things have started working, and I can see shared folders of my home laptop on my work laptop.

Kaushal

doobleshaft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Now I'm not sure whether to open a new thread for this or not but...

I've had a work laptop connecting perfectly to my home work group. A central PC acting as a server running Windows XP professional could be connected to perfectly on a BT Home Hub from Windows Vista or 7 as well as any Windows XP version or Windows 2000.

I've moved the whole lot to a relatives house for a few months using a Sky DG834GT and I would expect it to work perfectly but it doesn't. Everything is on the same workgroup, I've reserved IP address and am about to try what's suggested above in this forum just in case but at the mo I'm stuck as to why this could happen.

If all else fails and as long as I can get the Sky username/password I'll try setting up a spare Linksys router which has never given me any trouble at all for the Sky connection and I'm sure it will serve my file and printer sharing needs without any trouble.

Just in case, can anyone think of anything else that should be changed on the Netgear router? I know there's nothing wrong with the PC setup as it worked perfectly on a BT Home Hub.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Don't BT use a different IP range to Sky for the router and connected PCs? Networking does and should work using the Netgears as long as the networking is setup on the PCs properly.
      Why are you reserving IPs by the way? The router should be able to handle all DHCP requests from the attached units.

Thanks

Yes BT do use a different IP range but this isn't going to cause this problem. I haven not setup the PCs with static IP addresses, just used the Netgear router to reserve them.

The only one I wanted to reserve an IP address for was the server but I tried reserving one for one of the laptops while experimenting and it made no difference. There is no problem with DHCP. I did however try to follow the suggestions of others through forums searches and it hasn't made a difference.

All the PCs have been setup and working perfectly on the BT Home Hub with normally no problems at all with file or printer sharing.

So what is the Netgear router doing differently? This is the only logical cause as they were all working before.

I can't figure out how to turn off the firewall or what else I can change. The file and printer sharing also worked on a Linksys router. This and the BT Home Hub had no modifications made to make file and printer sharing work.

Out of interest here, I do have access to an identical but hacked to Netgear firmware router so I'm tempted to try it and see if I can get any further. I'll also try the Linksys router if I'm stuck.

Thanks

I forgot to say that I cannot ping anything except the router itself from any of the PCs which includes two desktops and two laptops.