Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vista Unable to Find Sagem Wireless Network

This is a discussion on Vista Unable to Find Sagem Wireless Network within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; First post on this forum; recently bought a replacement laptop and it can't locate my router for some bizarre reason. ...

ChrisDeston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1.72km away (Stalybridge)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Vista Unable to Find Sagem Wireless Network

First post on this forum; recently bought a replacement laptop and it can't locate my router for some bizarre reason.

I have the Sky Sagem router and i'm running Vista trying to connect wirelessly with a built-in Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card.

It seems strange as i can't really blame either device. It can't be the router's internet, since my home PC is connected via ethernet (running XP) and i'm able to post on here, it can't be the router's wireless since i have a wireless adapter that's fully operational connected to run xbox live upstairs. The laptop's wireless seems fine, connects perfectly both at my girlfriends and at college. And using the ethernet cable my laptop works at home, but the "Connect to a Network" is finding three local wireless networks (others on my street), but not my own.

I attempted to connect to a wireless network manually but don't know the set-up to do so. Options available for Security Type's include:
      No Authentication (Open)
      Shared (WEP or Open)
      WPA2-Personal (TKIP or AES)
      WPA-Personal (TKIP or AES)
      WPA2-Enterprise (TKIP or AES - PEAP or SmartCard)
      WPA2-Enterprise (TKIP or AES - PEAP or SmartCard)
      802.1x (WEP or Open)

And tbh i'm a Vista newbie so i can't find any other way around it. Never used Vista and never seen/heard of this problem (except the old Orange LiveBox where you had to press the buttons to make it visable) but yeah.

Any help's appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Vista Unable to Find Sagem Wireless Network

If you are not seeing your own router it could be because Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) is not enabled. Go into the wireless settings and check. While you are there, check what has been set for Security. It is WPA-PSK* by default, but this may have been changed. Whatever is set is what you use for manual set up. It is also possible the Wireless Access list is enabled, check this and if so turn it off until you are connected, put your laptop in the list, then re-enable it.

* In Vista this is WPA-Personal (TKIP or AES)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply, just been to my brother's house and he too has a Sagem router from Sky, my laptop found and connected to it fine and although it was Local only (since my laptop keeps changing the internet protocol version 4 and 6 (TCP/IPv4&6)'s properties away from automatically finding, something else i found was messing up but after manually changing works fine everytime).
      And i've completely lost track going off topic with a different problem..
      Erm..
      The Wireless.
      Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) - How would i get to this? Where're the settings for the Wireless Router? Is it through entering it's direct ip address? If so, what're the default sky codes, since they haven't been changed 0=] But i'm assuming it isn't the case since my xbox still finds the network by default...
      I've matched my set-up to that of my brothers, for future reference it seems to be WPA-Personal (TKIP) by default, or is on his anyway.
      Wireless Access List - Again, where might this be? Sorry, as i said; completely new to Vista and never really faced troubles with my wireless before.

Again, thanks for the fast reply, and if anyone else has a clue either i'm trying anything to avoid ringing them up at the time being =]

EDIT: Side note; I don't think this is the case as the Sky network is visible on my phone's WLAN Scan... Connects with no troubles again...
      EDIT2: Allow Broadcast of Name is deffo on. And it was set to WPA - PSK.
      Last edited by ChrisDeston; 19-03-09 at 02:16 PM. Reason: New Information Discovered

Thanks

As I didn't have a Vista PC with a wireless connection, I have just installed an adapter on this one in the hope I might get a clue what is happening to yours. Unfortunately I had no problem connecting

What I suggest you do is open the Networking and Sharing Centre and click Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane. It will open and show the Networks it can see. Now select each of the Networks in turn and click the Remove link on the bar above. Close the pane and click the Connect to a Network link, again in the left pane. It should bring up the networks it sees, including hopefully, your own. If it does, select it and click Connect. If your network is secure you will have to enter the password at this stage.

While you do this, be in line of site of your router. Let me know if you have any luck.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

since my laptop keeps changing the internet protocol version 4 and 6 (TCP/IPv4&6)'s properties away from automatically finding
      Internet Protocol V6 can cause connection problems, I don't think it is your problem here as it really only applies when you are on line. However, I would advise you to go to the adapters properties and untick it in the list. This just disables it and it can be re-enabled by reticking, should it ever be required. Do the same in the ethernet adapter properties.

Have you tried connecting with the ethernet adapter?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

No luck in the Network and Sharing Center, still doesn't find my network
      And it works fine via ethernet, but even then the SSID is described as "Network" not the SkySSID that i'm used to finding. Unfortunately, doing it through ethernet's not very practical since i'd be sat on the stairs whenever i need my laptop.
      I'm in direct view, it's essentially touching my laptop, but still no luck.

Cheers for the Protocol tip btw.

Thanks

^Bump^
      I think someone else is having the same problem as me, but explained it a little better, and found his own fix. wirless problems
      He described it as a problem acquiring the network, i think that's the trouble i'm having.. He said he followed steps to enter a manual ip. subnet,gateway address etc. If anyone could link me to these (I'm gunna search myself now and will edit if i find, i also PM'd the guy and asked him too, if anyone knows what to do/how i'd appreciate the help). His fix seemed to solve my problem but create a new problem but hopefully i'll be one step forward through this. If anyone can help either me or the Andrew guy who posted the link let me know please.
      Appreciating the help off IsItMe so far, cheers mate, anyone else can feel free to jump in too

Thanks

I think there must be a setting in the router which is 'hiding' it from your laptop. The answer may be to return the router to 'factory' settings, just as you received it from Sky. To do this push a biro into the reset hole at the rear of the router and hold it there until the lights flash. Before you do this, go to the router settings and click the Backup link and save the settings to one of your PCs, or the laptop if you connect by ethernet. If you find it does not help the settings can be returned quite easily.

Did you have no luck setting it up manually?

You could also try giving your wireless adapter a fixed address. If you use it on other networks it is probably better to use the Alternate Configuration tab of the adapters IP v4 Properties and leave the first page to use Automatic settings. If you want to try this use the following settings -
      IP address..........192.168.0.100
      subnet ................255.255.255.0
      Gateway .............192.168.0.1

Primary DNS....... 208.67.222.222
      Secondary DNS...208.67.220.220

EDIT -Just saw your latest post follow the above to set a manual address.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Okay, now i feel like an idiot.
      Not that i hadn't tried it before, but the Master Reset did it!
      My laptop's found it and connected.

But i am a little confused still...
      It says Local Only.
      Network and Sharing Center shows the connection not reaching the Internet.

But i'm posting this reply on the laptop via wireless...

Yay at it working now, but why does it feel like it's gunna be temperamental as y'like... hm...

Cheers for all the help mate! If you've any clue why im on Local Only now, but still connecting to internet, let me know, but if not i'll just have to be confused and try to ignore

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I'd definitelt recommend you following IsItMe's advice on setting up a manual IP address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast