Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

got new computer cannot get sky connected

This is a discussion on got new computer cannot get sky connected within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi, got a brand new computer running windows vista 64bit. I have an old sky netgear router and wireless adapter ...

al_nut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry got new computer cannot get sky connected

hi, got a brand new computer running windows vista 64bit. I have an old sky netgear router and wireless adapter WG111T, have had this over 4 years.

I can not get it to work on new computer. On the router with connection through the yellow cable I go through all the startup cd until it decideds to check for connection only for an error to appear saying activation code date has expired even thorugh I was up and running on old computer with no hassle.

As for the wireless adapter I get up to part in startup where it tells me to restart computer and plug adapter in and startup will continue. However upon restart nothing continues. The little blue light doesn't even come on when I plug into the usb slot. However the computer does recognise it's been plugged in as a dialogue comes up saying new hardware found. Sky help have told me to download latest netgear software to no avail.

Can anyone help?????????????

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: got new computer cannot get sky connected

Quote Originally Posted by al_nut View Post
      hi, got a brand new computer running windows vista 64bit. I have an old sky netgear router and wireless adapter WG111T, have had this over 4 years.
      I guess you mean youve had the wireless adapter for 4 years as Sky havnt been providing bb for that long. Any way ignore the wireless for now.

I can not get it to work on new computer. On the router with connection through the yellow cable I go through all the startup cd until it decideds to check for connection only for an error to appear saying activation code date has expired even thorugh I was up and running on old computer with no hassle.
      You should not need to run the installation cd. As long as the router is connected to the phone line with the rj11 cable and to your pc's ethernet connection with the yellow ethernet cable it should connect.

Double check all your wiring and come back to us.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Firstly, forget about the disk, use it as a coaster or in the garden as a bird scarer, but don't let it anywhere near your PC. Go to the Start Conrol Panel Programs and Features and remove anything that it has installed. Plug the ethernet cable into your PC and the router. Give it a minute then open IE and you should be online.

The wireless part is different. Your first problem is that Vista does not appear to like this adapter, there are numerous complaints about it scattered over the web. Your second is that you are using a 64 bit OS. The latest drivers are supposed to support XP 64 bit, but they are very flakey. You can try downloading and installing them from here - Answer but to be honest, I think you are going to have problems. If you do install them, when you get to the part of the install that ask you if you want the Netgear wizard or the Windows manager, choose Windows. The default is Netgear so you have to change it.

My advice would be to forget about wireless all together and invest in a Homeplug Network This link gives you an idea what it is, but by shopping around, cheaper options are available. Your only other alternative would be to find a wireless adapter that is guaranteed Vista 64bit compatible. It might not be too easy to find one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Have to agree with IsItMe, the Netgear dongle hates Vista and I stopped using mine as soon as I upgraded from XP. I now use homeplugs and will never go back.

Netgear are useless for support and could not supply working firmware for the dongle.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Have to agree with IsItMe, the Netgear dongle hates Vista and I stopped using mine as soon as I upgraded from XP. I now use homeplugs and will never go back.

Netgear are useless for support and could not supply working firmware for the dongle.
      And for the same reason don't get Netgear Homeplugs as well.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for all comments will try em all later.

dholdi might of had router for 3 years and not 4.

Will try everything later however I really need to get adapter working as computer will not be next to router.

Thanks folks any more suggestions keep posting

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Will try everything later however I really need to get adapter working as computer will not be next to router.
      You won't get that adaptor working with Vista, save your time. If you buy a couple of the Solwise 85mb homeplugs, you can keep the router at the other end of the garden if you wished, they will work fine, they turn the mains wiring into an ethernet lead.

No lag, speed reductions or dropouts due to poor reception and no drivers or wireless connection managers slowing down the PC either, better security and no brain tumors due to the wireless signals passing through your head

Exchange:
      Thanks

k so homeplugs seem to be best bet then any advice on these would be welcome however don't wanna buy them to find they don't work.

Does his effect them mains cable or electrcity charges??? (sorry dappy q's)

Shouldn't it be down to sky though to provide a suitable wireless adapter and router for whatever system or computer you use??

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

k so homeplugs seem to be best bet then any advice on these would be welcome however don't wanna buy them to find they don't work.
      There has only been good reports about these on here. Do a quich search for them on here and you will find many recommendations.

Does his effect them mains cable or electrcity charges??? (sorry dappy q's)
      Nope

Shouldn't it be down to sky though to provide a suitable wireless adapter and router for whatever system or computer you use??
      Nope again, they do provide you with a suitable wireless router and an adsl connection. How you connect to it is up to you. Wireless is mainly aimed at laptops which most, if not all, nowadays will have a compatible wireless card built in.

You dont say how far from the router your pc is, but another way to consider would be a long ethernet cable. This would give a far better connection than wireless but would obviously need routing out of site if practical.

Exchange:
      Thanks

85m homeplugs on order so gotta sit tight till they arrive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast