Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wireless Connection Keeps Failing

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection Keeps Failing within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ah, okay :P Well, in my defence they look similar and I'm new to this. Thanks for clearing up the ...

Pixelen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: N/A
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection Keeps Failing

Ah, okay :P

Well, in my defence they look similar and I'm new to this. Thanks for clearing up the UPnP issue. I can't connect by cable though because I don't have any phone sockets/ports in my room, and I think the problem lies with something my computer is doing, not with the channel because the downstairs computer and my brother's computer both work fine with the channel that it's on, and the sky tech support people told us to stick with this channel.

Here's an interesting development though; a minute ago, I went on the sky router settings and reverted to the factory default settings. This made my wireless connection stop working, so I opened the smart wizard to connect to the network again, and I found that there were two sky connections under the 'networks' tab, when there is usually one (at least, there is when I check it after it stops working, I hadn't thought to check it while it was working). One has WEP security and is on channel 13, which is the network I usually am on, although it's on Ad-Hoc mode for some reason. The other has WPA security, so I tried entering the code we got when we first had sky, before we realised WPA wasn't working and it connected. I am now really confused.

Edit: Actually, that might have just been a fluke because suddenly the wireless on the downstairs computer and on my brothers computer stopped working. Man, sky is annoying.

Here's a screenshot of the networks thing -

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The SSID of your network will be on the underside of the router, or the card that came with it. Try not to use WEP as it is easily cracked.

1) Locate your SSID number (under the router or on the card)

2) Change encryption to WPA-PSK if possible

3) Make a passphrase (WPA-PSK Security Encryption) - eg myskybroadband (example passphrase)

4) Then try to connect to your SSID using the passphrase - myskybroadband

There is a tutorial here, Configure your Sky Netgear Router's Wireless Settings which is for the older router but the principles are still the same.

Remember also to try and change the wireless channels. If neighbours are using the same channel it can cause issues. If you have a PC nearer the socket then use that one to change it, instead of moving your PC if that makes sense.

I will try and do an up to date tutorial for the V2 router over the next few days, to give you a clearer idea.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for your help, but when we first got Sky the encryption was set to WPA-PSK and our connection kept connecting then disconnecting repeatedly, so we phoned up tech support and they told us to stick to WEP security, and keep it at channel 13. These settings had been working for a couple of months, and are still working for the two other computers in the house. It's just mine that's not working, and I have no idea why. If it keeps happening, I'll try changing the channels and the security, it's just that I'm reluctant to if it only seems to be mine that's not connecting.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

so we phoned up tech support and they told us to stick to WEP security
      Unfortunately that is bad advice, WEP is easier to setup, but also easier to hack.

and keep it at channel 13. These settings had been working for a couple of months
      Maybe, but more people who live near you could have signed up for broadband and also be using channel 13 within the last couple of months, hence the recommendation for trying a different channel.

It's just mine that's not working, and I have no idea why
      Coincidence, possibly, but it won't cost you anything to try what's suggested, it may sort it, it may not.

it's just that I'm reluctant to if it only seems to be mine that's not connecting.
      Is yours the furthest away from the router? In which case just the simple channel change could sort it.

My router is flawless, with an Xbox (wired) PS3 (wireless) Laptop (wireless) and a PC (wired) using it on the ground floor (where the router is) and 2 laptops using it (as well as a wii) on the first floor - all wireless, using channel 11. Oh and my phone (wireless) anywhere in the house.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, thanks again for your advice, but it turns out the problem may have fixed itself - yesterday, everyone's connection stopped working, so I changed the setting downstairs back to the WPA security with TKIP encryption that we used when we first got Sky, and entered the network key from our user information card. Suddenly, it connected again! No idea what happened there, but obviously the WEP security was faulty, like you said, NewsreadeR. Thanks again everyone for your help, I guess I'll know if everything's OK later today, as my wireless usually stops working about 2 days after a system restore.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Just one point, from what you have written it looks like you may be using the Netgear Wireless Manager. If so, it is not always the best, you would be better trying the Windows Manager. To do this right click on the wireless icon in the tray and select 'Let Windows Manage my connection'. Your problem may be arising from a conflict between the two managers. It is often better to install the Adapter driver only and leave of the other software.

If you don't get the option to use Windows by right clicking, check the Wireless tab of your wireless adapters Properties, make sure the box for using Windows is ticked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Phew, connected again. Wireless stopped working for everyone yesterday evening, and hasn't been working until now. We thought we'd try the age-old rule of computers and unplug the router, then plug it back in again. Guess what? It worked. Guess there was no point to all those system restores.Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep you posted over the next few days.

For anyone else having the same problem as me:

1. Change your encryption to WPA.
      2. Experiment with channels.

And if that doesn't work:

3. Unplug your router and plug it back in again!

Thanks again everyone, and I'll be sure to use the Windows Manager from now on, Isitme.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The wireless was fine all day yesterday, but today it keeps dropping, then connecting, then dropping, then connecting repeatedly. It's very frustrating. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? My brother's isn't working at all, and my parents dropped once, but we switched the router on and off again and now it's fine. Any help at all is appreciated.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I think it is probably interference from a neighbour's router. Follow Newreaders advice above, especially about changing the channel. I think when you found it worked OK with WPA and not with WEP was pure coincidence and nothing to do with your real problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Buy some homeplugs and do away with wireless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast