Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Wireless adapter recommendations needed - PCI card or USB?

This is a discussion on Wireless adapter recommendations needed - PCI card or USB? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey folks, long time since i've been around these parts but i'm after some advice. Back in october i built ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Wireless adapter recommendations needed - PCI card or USB?

Hey folks, long time since i've been around these parts but i'm after some advice.

Back in october i built myself a brand new desktop PC thats to be used for gaming, work and all the other bits and bobs. My father being the helpful one that supplied me all the parts purchased a rather cheap and nasty PCI wireless card for 8, which at the time was all well and good as it did the job.

However over recent times i've been really struggling with this card maintaining signal, which has been a real downfall for the machine for both my own work needs and gaming entertainment.
      The problem i have is, the router is currently situated inside a cupboard in the back corner of our home...where as my desktop is roughly about 20 meters upstairs, and theres no chance of moving the desktop or the router to better accomodate the problem. So at the moment lack of signal is the big issue i'm having.

Both my mum and her partner fail to understand my IT technical explanation on how atmospheric conditions can effect the signal condition. the fact the router is boxed in at the moment and the signal is having to attempt to travel through the cupboard, a few brick walls, the ceiling and a few more doors to reach my desktop also phases them. and they are also failing to understand that, because they are both sat directly across from the router and getting signal...doesn't mean i get it up here

so yes after being sick to death of having to move the router every so often due to them moving it back or signal loss i've decided it best to get a new card or usb...which ever is better. at the moment im using a Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device.

At the moment my desktop is currently running Vista 64 bit Premium, so i need something that is obviously compatiable with that. But again i'm not sure which is the better option. I'm a frequent internet user that downloads plenty of games Via Steam, and uploads plenty of pictures.

Basically i'm after something that is compatiable with all of my above and has the best signal range avaliable as it seems anything inbetween this just does not give me the signal i require to even get onto the internet (at the moment anything below 3 signal bars and i can't even access the internet full stop!)

so yes! anything someone could suggest that is compatiable with the sky v1 router (white), gives me the maximum signal range, best download speeds and is generally good all round !

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Wireless adapter recommendations needed - PCI card or USB?

Forget wireless and get a couple of homeplugs, it will work just like it is wired then, no drop outs or interference.

Don't waste you money on more wireless cards!!!

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other

Re: Wireless adapter recommendations needed - PCI card or USB?

Totally agree. Homeplug is best. ebuyer will sell you a pair for under 50 delivered. Have a look at Extra Value 85Mbps Powerline Homeplug Adapter - Twin Pack - Ebuyer