Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wireless connection not working

This is a discussion on Wireless connection not working within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Following my son trying to set up xbox live wirelessly (unsuccessfully) - I have lost me wireless connection on my ...

ALIPOPSJANE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01933
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Wireless connection not working

Following my son trying to set up xbox live wirelessly (unsuccessfully) - I have lost me wireless connection on my laptop

The wireless network does appear when i try to connect to it comes up with "wireless association failed because windows did not recieve any response from the wireless router or access point".

I have checked the wireless setting and tried changing the channels, followed all the forum instructions on here that I can find. But still cant get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ali

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection not working

First thing I would do is a factory reset of the router. On the back you should see a little hole, you need to hold this in whislt the router is switched on for about 10 secs, the lights on the front will flash.

Then try again.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks working again perfectly - I had tried that b4 put not pushed the button in for long enough !!!

Thanks

Ali

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before he breaks it again, copy, paste and print off this tutorial, make him read it before you let him loose with his Xbox again.
      Setting up Xbox 360 and Netgear V1 router for Xbox Live

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having fixed my wireless netorkwork problem - its suddenly not working again !! tried resettting the router again - tried everything thats advised on here. Spent 30 minutes on the phone to sky who came to the conclusion that is it a common problem with Dell and their wireless wlan cards installed on the laptop (inspiron 1525) . I have made sure all drivers are up to date etc etc - sky suggest I speak to Dell and they run me thru disconnecting the wlan card !!! Any help would be great. Thanks Ali

Thanks

is it a common problem with Dell and their wireless wlan cards installed on the laptop
      There have been quite a few complaints in the past with the Dell wireless manager not working properly. What you can try, if you have not already done so, is using the Windows Manager. To do this right click the wireless icon in the tray and select. 'Let Windows manage my connection' If you don't get that option, go to the Control Panel, open Network Connections, right click your wireless icon and select properties, click the Wireless Tab and tick the box for 'Let Windows manage my connection' or something similar.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is that on xp as im on vista ?

Thanks

That was for XP. For Vista first check that the WLAN Autoconfig is set properly.
      Press the Windows key and start type services click the Services icon and accept the UAC Scroll down the list and select WLAN AutoConfig.
      Double-click the service and its properties window will appear. If the startup type is not set to Automatic, click on the dropdown arrow and change it to Automatic. Click Start to start the service if itís not started.
      Now look in the list for the Dell Wireless Manager. I am not sure what it will be but it will be something like Dell WirelessWLAN Tray Service. Click Stop service and use the drop down box to Disable it. There may be others related to the Dell wireless, disable these as well.
      Close out of the Services.
      Now press the Windows key again and type msconfig, click msconfig.exe, accept the UAC and open the Startup tab. Look down the list for Dell wireless entries and untick them.
      Open the Network and Sharing centre and click 'Manage wireless network connections'.
      If your Sky connection is not shown, click the +ADD link and it will be found. At this stage if there are any other Networks visible, your neighbours for instance, highlight them and click the Remove link. Now highlight the Sky connection and click Connect. You will be asked for the Security key, enter this and you should connect.

I think I've covered everything.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I folllowed yr instructions and double checked them but when I get to the manage wireless connections, no sky connection is shown and if i click +ADD, is comes up with 3 options
      Add a network that is range of this computer
      Manually create a network profile
      Create an ad hoc network

If i click on Add a network that is range of this computer is comes if with my sky network, but when i click on it still doesnt connect

Thanks

If i click on Add a network that is range of this computer is comes if with my sky network, but when i click on it still doesnt connect
      What error does it give? Does it come up with the box asking for the password? Is that when it fails to connect? If so could you go into the routers wireless settings and under Security Options, tick the box at the top for Disable. See if you can connect then.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast