Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wireless connection not working

This is a discussion on Wireless connection not working within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I tried this but when i reinstall the drivers it doesnt ask to choose between dell or windows manager :-( ...

ALIPOPSJANE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01933
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection not working

I tried this but when i reinstall the drivers it doesnt ask to choose between dell or windows manager :-(
      Bloody thing is heading out the window soon !!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Open the Network and Sharing Centre and click Manage Network connections. Right click the Wireless adapter and select Properties. Is there a box there saying 'Let Windows manage my wireless...' if there is tick the box.
      Now go to Services and make sure the WLAN AutoConfig is set to Automatic. Same as Post # 8 below.
      Reboot your laptop. Anything?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still no joy - think i need to go back over everything u've said again - I must be missing something really simple

Thanks

Let's try something else. Do you know exactly what wireless adapter you have? If you don't, download this application and install it. |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 This will tell you everything you have on your laptop. Click network in the left pane and it will give you the full names of the adapters you have install. Make a note of the wireless one. I think it will be an Intel, if so go to the Intel download centre - Download Software, Drivers and Utilities and download the Intel driver. I think it will be this one - Intel® PRO/Wireless and WiFi Link Drivers-Only for Windows Vista*

Keep the download in a folder where you can find it easily. Then go to the Programs and Features list and uninstall the Dell wireless driver and Manager. Now open the Device Manager and check that the wireless adapter is showing a yellow mark if it is not right click it and uninstall it.

Now go back to the Intel driver and double click it. It should unpack itself to a folder on your C: drive. Make a note of it's position. If it does not continue to install itself go back to the Device Manager, right click Computer and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. Your wireless will be found and you will be asked for the driver. Select Install from a location and browse to where the Intel driver was unpacked. Click OK and let it do it's thing. All being well you will be rid of the Dell Manager and Windows should find and manage your wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi thanks for yr adivice tried this and no joy - reverted to dell who sent me a new wlan card - that still doesnt help so now told me to go back to sky.... Great !!! back to square one !! any one live near wellingborough in Northants that can come and take a look for me ??

Thanks

What you could try is forget all about the Dell adapter and buy a cheap USB one. Some may not like it for a laptop as it uses a cable but I can recommend this one, it is very cheap and does the job for me on the only PC I use wirelessly.
      Linksys by Cisco WUSB54GR Wireless-G USB Adapter with RangeBooster - Ebuyer

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123