Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless dropping out

This is a discussion on Wireless dropping out within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've been with Sky now for 2 months and up until 4 days ago have been very happy with connection. ...

gill501 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSAYR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless dropping out

I've been with Sky now for 2 months and up until 4 days ago have been very happy with connection. Over the past four days all of a sudden our 2 laptops would not connect wirelessly. We could get sometimes a local only connection but no internet. We used an ethernet cable and saw that there was a connection so it didn't seem to be sky or the router at fault. I called Sky 2 nights ago and was talked through changing some of the wireless adapter settings on my laptop ip address and dns was changed i think. Eventually the numbers the lady had me change worked and I got my wireless connection back.... for all of 2 hours!
      We lost the wireless connection again last night and since then I have been trying changing various settings myself to see if I could get it working again. I tried changing the channel as we have a lot of wireless networks that we can see when we search, they are mostly sky and bt. That didnt work anyway so i changed my wireless settings to auto ip address and auto dns and lo and behold this has worked... so far for the past 30 mins anyway. The question I have is that how come my connection has been flawless over the last two months (i had forwarded a port for utorrent and set up static ip address) and all of a sudden it decides not to work? It means too that utorrent is not working properly as I have got rid of the static ip address, and if i set this back up there is a chance I will lose my wireless connection again arrrggghh! Any advice?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless dropping out

we have a lot of wireless networks that we can see when we search
      I think this is at the root of your problem. In the evening, when all the other networks are in use, this will be worse. With 1 or 2 networks near you you can usually get round it by changing the channel, but once this number increases, problems really begin. There is not really a way around it except not using wireless. This is one of the reasons Homeplug Networks are becoming more and more popular.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gill501 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSAYR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think this is at the root of your problem. In the evening, when all the other networks are in use, this will be worse. With 1 or 2 networks near you you can usually get round it by changing the channel, but once this number increases, problems really begin. There is not really a way around it except not using wireless. This is one of the reasons Homeplug Networks are becoming more and more popular.

Thanks for your reply. Even during the day today it has been disconnecting me. I downloaded Netstumbler but it did not find any wireless networks or even what channel they were using (unless i am not using it correctly!) But I know that when i do a search to find available networks to connect to I get 2 or 3 others other than my own. I managed to connect wirelessly for a couple of hours there but then it dropped again. I went into the hall where the router is and got a connection by sitting right next to the router. But when I went back through to the lounge (on the other side of the wall, no more than 10 ft) it dropped again.
      Last edited by gill501; 04-03-09 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello,

If you have all ready changed the channel number i am guessing you have used high numbers like 10 - 13

If this did not work change the mode on the wireless settings on the router page see how you get on with that,

Regards

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check at the manufacturers site to see if you have the latest available drivers for your wireless adapter, updating these may help.

You might also want to try to borrow a USB adapter from a friend to try. If it solves your problem, you could buy one.

I am fairly sure it is interference from other networks that is causing your problem. BT in particular are giving out routers which they boast can reach to the bottom of the garden. Unfortunately they are also likely to interfere with everyone else around them.

You might also want to experiment with changing the orientation of your router. I am assuming you have one of the black ones with the built in aerial, one type has the aerial in the bottom and the other in the top. Just turning it around may make a difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

also the 2.4 Ghz band is chock full of devices that aren't routers, wireless doorbells, speakers, video senders, Bluetooth devices, even my central heating is wireless on the thermostat and the clock timer talking to the boiler.

With all this clutter and as said beofre newer and more powerful routers the age of a decent wi-fi connection is now over and I would really suggest using homeplugs, even if it means using them to put a wireless access point in the room you want to use the laptop in if you don't want to go wired.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!