Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cant connect to broadband

This is a discussion on Cant connect to broadband within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I am posting this here before I contact technical support for any confirmation that my pc isn't wireless enabled, ...

Scarlett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Cant connect to broadband

Hi I am posting this here before I contact technical support for any confirmation that my pc isn't wireless enabled, so am looking for some help please.

On friday (27th) I had sky+ installed and broadband was going live that day, the next day I connected everything and clicked on the sky icon on my desktop and all I got was an offline page. I looked for a wireless icon to see if everthing is set up ok but find anything, so does that mean I don't have wireless ?

I was sent a sagem router, the top light is on permanently, but the light underneath that is flashing green, the wireless light isnt on, but if you look close up you can see a slight flash, do you think the router is working properly?.

If I need a wireless adapter please could someone recommend, and also should I wait until I have that and try to connet again before ringing technical support, I have an Acer with XP.

I also plugged the yellow ethernet cable into my laptop but it didnt pick up wireless (apart from the neighbours).

I am very grateful for any replies, many thanks

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Cant connect to broadband

What model Acer are you using? If it's under 3 year old it is almost certainly equiped with WiFi but it might not be turned on - I have two Acers, the 3 year old 5000 series has a button on the front that you press to turn WiFi on and it flashes until it's connected when it stays on continuously. My more recent Acer 5920 has a button next to the keyboard that you press for WiFi on/off. Look in the Manual for the computer.

It could also be Wireless is not enabled in the Network Connections.

Thr fact that the Router WiFi light is OFF suggests WiFi needs to be turned ON(enabled|) in the Router. So open your browser (ie Internet Explorer) and in the place where you would put web addresses (ie SkyUser Radio) type the following:

192.168.0.1 and then press Return

This takes you to the Sky Broadband set up page and you will need to enter the Username and Password. By default these are:

admin
      sky

You should then be at the main page. Click on Wireless Settings on the left hand bar. Is WiFi turned ON (enabled)? If not turn it ON by ticking it.

If you go back to the main page you can also Test Sky and Test the Connection (at the bottom of the page).

Try all that and post back.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have a laptop and a desktop PC. As already mentioned, most recent laptops have built in wireless, but this is not so with desktops. If your desktop, assuming you have one, has wireless there will be an aerial at the back.

Can you connect to the internet using the yellow cable? Make sure you can do this before you try to connect with wireless. If you can see neighbours wireless routers on your laptop then it must have built in wireless, so it is likely your router is faulty. Routers are sent out with wireless enabled, but just in case yours hasn't, push a biro into the reset hole at the rear and hold it there for about 10 secs, or until the lights flash. This will return it to 'factory' settings and will enable the wireless. If it doesn't, phone Sky and tell them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, I put the 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and it didnt do anything, just came up with internet explorer cannot display the page, Im using an Acer Veriton 7500 if that means anything, strange thing is I am connected to something - Intel(R) PRO/100 VE network connection.

Thanks for your help so far
      Last edited by Scarlett; 02-03-09 at 09:42 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you have a laptop and a desktop PC. As already mentioned, most recent laptops have built in wireless, but this is not so with desktops. If your desktop, assuming you have one, has wireless there will be an aerial at the back.

Can you connect to the internet using the yellow cable? Make sure you can do this before you try to connect with wireless. If you can see neighbours wireless routers on your laptop then it must have built in wireless, so it is likely your router is faulty. Routers are sent out with wireless enabled, but just in case yours hasn't, push a biro into the reset hole at the rear and hold it there for about 10 secs, or until the lights flash. This will return it to 'factory' settings and will enable the wireless. If it doesn't, phone Sky and tell them.
      Hi, my laptop is now wireless as I have an adapter card in the side of it, I have just put the yellow cable in the side of it again and it still isn't picking anything up apart from my neighbours routers, I have even tried resetitng the router but i'm still getting the solid green light at the top and a flashing green light underneath

Thanks for your help

Thanks

If you have this one-
      Acer Veriton 7500 Specifications

The wireless adapter is optional and probably will not be fitted unless you specified it. The Intel(R) PRO/100 VE is the ethernet LAN adapter which you connect to when you plug in the yellow cable. If you want to use wireless you will have to install a wireless adapter. You should be aware though, that wireless does not often perform as well as a cable connection. You may want to consider a alternate like a longer ethernet cable or Homeplug networking if a cable cannot be used.

Have you tried with the cable plugged in? Did you read my previous post?

Did you have dialup internet before? If so go to the Control Panel>Internet Connections and select -Never dial a connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I don't have a Sagem so I don't really know about the lights, but it looks to me like you are not connecting to the Internet. Maybe someone who is familiar with it could advise what lights should be on and what they should be doing. Could you also forget about wireless for the moment and just concentrate on using the yellow cable. Get your connection up and running them think about wireless.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks isitme, I did reply then lost it as I find it hard to type on this laptop with my nails , I did want wireless so I can use the laptop whilst my daughter uses the pc in the same room, didn't realise there was another way like Homeplug networking, that actually might be better and I'm not really fussed as long as I get the pc up and running as I use it a lot.

Had Orange broadband before using a Speedtouch modem.

Many thanks

Thanks

Had Orange broadband before using a Speedtouch modem.
      Go to the Add/Remove in the Control Panel and remove everything that refers to Orange, including the Speedtouch software. In Vista it is Programs and Features. Also in XP go to the Control Panel>Network Connections open it and right click the network icon and select Properties, highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP click the Properties button and check that 'Obtain an IP address automatically ' is checked. Please advise if you are using Vista.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hiya, well I called Sky as the router just wasnt showing any internet connection and the guy got me connected, apparently when I first switched the router on there was a software update and it failed, at least i'm online now

Just another question though if you dont mind, I am connected to the pc with the yellow cable and the wireless light is on, on the router, but when I switch the laptop on I can't find the waves (apart from the neighbours), so is there something I need to do on thelaptop or do I just need another cable to plug into the laptop to the router so I can use it.

Many thanks for your help so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast