Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can Netgear homeplugs REDUCE Sky Broadband wireless signal?

This is a discussion on Can Netgear homeplugs REDUCE Sky Broadband wireless signal? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am hoping that someone can help me. I have spent many hours now looking through various threads on the ...

KC147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Lightbulb Can Netgear homeplugs REDUCE Sky Broadband wireless signal?

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have spent many hours now looking through various threads on the forum trying to improve my wireless signal but nothing I have seen specifically addresses my problem.

I have the following:

Sky Broadband Netgear (black box, DG934G) installed in late 2008.
      The wireless signal is pants (as seems to be commonly experienced).

To start with:
      I have tried changing the channel a couple of times and have now settled on Channel 1 (not that it has really made much difference)
      I have looked in the menus at "192.168.0.1" for options to turn off uPnP and set the wireless signal to Auto 108, as advised in other threads but these don't seem to be present in the new interface?

I have purchased a Netgear Range Extender kit (XE102 and WGX102). I've set this up as per the instructions. I have used Channel 1 again (I assume I am meant to do this?) and matched all the other settings with my Sky broadband but with a static ip and dns as per the instructions.

This is what happens:
      I sit in my study (next to the broadband box) on my laptop (wireless) with no Netgear on and I get full signal - local and internet. By the time I get to the bottom of the first flight of stairs I have no signal.

Repeating the same with the Netgear on, I get less signal sitting next to the box. When I move away I get further down the stairs towards the Netgear extender. I don't lose the signal but it changes to "local" only. What does this mean? Just the two bits of my Netgear talking to each other? Why is it not "extending" the signal as per the box?

All advice gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can Netgear homeplugs REDUCE Sky Broadband wireless signal?

If you are going to have 2 wireless access points in your home (the router and the netgear range extender) they need to have the same SSID and WPA key but they need to be on different wireless channels. The channels should be separated by as much as possible which means that if one is on channel 1, the other should be on Channel13.

However I have personal experience of the Netgear XE 102/WGA102 combo and can tell you that this product is pants. I never got it to work properly and gave up in the end. I now have a Netgear Wireless Access point cabled to the router at the other end of my house and with sufficient channel separation I can walk from one end to the other without the signal dropping.

Try changing the channel first but I fear you may need to buy an alternative extender solution. Something like this would be a good choice: http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produk...relessgsk.html
      BTW, I did find that there were a rash of firmware updates for the netgear extenders - Have you applied them? If not can you confirm the firmware version of both ends of the extender?
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 22-01-09 at 07:57 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

also the xe102 is only a 14 meg/sec connection product and I think that they are not very good due to appalling low top speed you get with them

As raffles suggests use a powerline plug (not netgear as tech support is awful) and use them to put a wireless access point to the room you need it in.

I have put a 85 meg/sec ethernet powerline setup and in my living room I have a ethernet switch so I can get 4 ethernet devices on it downstairs.

It's best to remeber that when using homeline products to use things all rated at the same speed and stay away from Netgear, Devolo seem to be a lot better.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I now have the router on channel 1 and the Netgear XE102/WGA102 on channel 13 and it has made a significant improvement, at least when I am standing near one or the other.

I clearly need to upgrade to something with a more far reaching signal.

Are the Netgear Wireless Access Point and powerline plugs the same as what I have (sorry, bit of a novice) or different things entirely?

Cheers!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Powerline products are simply devices which use the power circuit of your home to replace ethernet wiring. The simplest ones have an ethernet port which connects to the router and the PC. Yours, instead of having an ethernet port to plug the PC into, sends out a wireless signal. To be honest the ones you have are not very good at their job, the Netgear forums are full of complaints about them and good buyer reviews are few and far between.

There are many better products available, but ones with wireless are fairly expensive. The Devolo kit linked to above is a good example. With a desktop PC I would say a ethernet plug would be a far better solution, but wireless is handy for laptops.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Can Netgear homeplugs REDUCE Sky Broadband wireless signal?

Can I say a "Huge Thanks" to those who replied to my question!? I received today the Devolo Wireless G, as recommended, and the wireless is fantastic throughout the house now. Thanks for the advice!