Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor wireless connection.

This is a discussion on Poor wireless connection. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My son has just moved from BT Broadband (wired) to Sky and is trying to set up a wireless connection. ...

Tom
      Tom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Poor wireless connection.

My son has just moved from BT Broadband (wired) to Sky and is trying to set up a wireless connection. The first attempt was fine with his computer (Mesh) close by the Sky Netgear router and the signal was picked up OK. But when he moved the computer to it's eventual home, about 25 feet away(in a different room via 3 walls) an inadequate signal was received. He is using a Belkin USB wireless adapter. Sky technical support say, of course, that the fault is with the Belkin adapter. Does anyone know of a reliable, reasonably priced USB adapter which is sensitive (if that's the right word) enough to pick up a signal in what appears to be a poor reception area in the house. Or indeed any other thoughts. He has tried changing the router channels without success. I am writing because I am retired and have more time. Because of work committments he can only work on this at the weekends. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Poor wireless connection.

Has he tried repositioning the router, sometimes it works better on it's end stands, sometimes turning it 90 degrees can help.

I doubt the problem is any more than the fact that wireless is quite a poor way to connect anything and can easily be interfered with.

You could also try swapping the channel that the wireless signal goes out on, many say 13 is a good one to start with.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For a desktop computer, homeplugs are the answer. Wireless is becoming a real problem for many as various devices compete for that part of the radio spectrum in an uncontrolled fashion.

Google "homeplug" and look for brands such as devolo and solwise

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

avoid Netgear ones as their so called technical help is dire. Took me forever to get a firmware update that was being issued on a case by case basis.

Devolo seem to be a good product with good support.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I bought a couple of Solwise 85Mbps ones and they work great, I'll never use wireless again, well not on my desktop or xbox anyway.

You can even get ones with a wifi point built in to extend the wireless range for laptops etc.

2 X NEW SOLWISE PL-85PE HOMEPLUG NETWORK ADAPTERS on eBay, also, Other Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 18-Jan-09 13:12:49 GMT)

Tom
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you all. I appreciate your input and note the suggestion of homeplugs. I had hoped for a cheaper alternative such as a USB adapter with high enough gain to pick up the wireless signal from the router. If anyone can recommend one, we would be grateful.

My own wireless set-up works perfectly, but the signal has only one (inside) wall to go through.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

the homeplugs are dropping in price for the 85 meg/sec ones you can get them for 30/40 for a pair or try Ebay I got mine for a steal (even though they were Netgear ones.)

Just make sure you get the 85 meg/sec ones, all of one speed should work together nomatter what make they are (as long as they comply to the homeplug standard) but you can't mix the 14/85/200's you need to pick a speed and stick with it.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Tom
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Poor wireless connection.

Thank you very much, Undecided Adrian, Smithy99, and Ratcliffes . I was impressed by your advice and opinions and bought a pair of homeplugs from Amazon at a very reasonable price. They were fairly simple to install and now we are connected to Sky Broadband. Next comes the transfer of data from the old computer to the new, and the creation of an e-mail account with Windows Mail. We shall follow the tutorial elsewhere on this board!.

Many thanks, guys, your help and avice is much appreciated.