Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear 834GT V1 Sky Router Wireless Link :(

This is a discussion on Netgear 834GT V1 Sky Router Wireless Link :( within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey eall I have a bit of a problem with my wireless router. My neighbour has asked if he can ...

GazzieC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goscote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Netgear 834GT V1 Sky Router Wireless Link :(

Hey eall I have a bit of a problem with my wireless router. My neighbour has asked if he can use my broadband link to access his email on his laptop. I agreed and set his laptop to wokr wirelessly.

We live in a new build of apartments and where he wants to use the internet is approx. 15 meters from the router and the walls are plasterboard. However he cannot pick up the wireless network in his apartment unless he is right by his front door (approx 10 meters) and even then its only 2 bars signal strength (approx 35%)

I have tried using third party wireless adapters of various sorts even ones that act as a wireless gateway that you connect to your PC via ethernet and I have gone through all the channels.

The annoying thing is there is another Sky customer broadcasting from much further away (approx 50-60 meters away) and he can recieve nearly full signals.

Apart from getting an industrial standard wireless Access POint (Like a 3COM unit) I really cant think of any other things to try. The router is as far away from speakers and tvs without actually being in another apartment and my PC is connected wirelessly with an 80% signal strength and its nearly 2/3rds of the distance.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try???

Thanks
      Gaz

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Netgear 834GT V1 Sky Router Wireless Link :(

Try a different channel. Say channel 11.

Change auto to b or g and then change the channel number.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How-to Configure your Routers Wireless Settings
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 08-01-09 at 09:53 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most new-build flats these days will use foil backed plasterboard for extra insulation which would explain why the signal doesn't get through. There may also be Metsec metal framing to hold it up - Essentially you could be sitting inside a faraday cage at least on that side anyway. Depends on the design but perhaps foil backed board isn't required by the building regulations between you and the neighbour with the router you can pick up. Foil backed board is a benefit in that if the flat next door isn't heated and yours is, you won't be paying to heat their flat.

If you are really keen to do this and you can't get any more out of the conventional wireless route, then there are two options I can think of- The first which will definitely work, requires you to drill a hole in the wall to run an ethernet cable. he can either plug his laptop into this cable directly or he can run his own wireless access point from it.

The second way, which might work if the electrical meter for both flats is close by, is to try homeplugs which will create an ethernet network via the mains wiring. Google is your friend here. Whilst this way requires no permanent alterations, it is far from certain that it will work as the homeplug signal will often not travel much further than your fuse box/Meter. Worth a go if you can borrow a pair of homeplugs to test the theory.

Assuming that you have tried all of the various channels, and that nothing worked it is just possible that a wireless N spec router might put out enough juice to get through but this will also require your neighbour to have an N spec wireless card in his laptop. This will also breach your Sky Ts&Cs.

This sounds like a lot of pain and effort to go through if all you are doing is a favour to a neighbour. If it doesn't work simply, the cost of buying the equipment you will need on both ends which ever route you find works, probably means that it would be cheaper for your neighbour to get his own broadband.

You also need to have a concern about security as he (and all of his mates) will be inside your firewall with potentially free access to your files. Ask yourself if you would trust him to look after a folder containing your bank statements and birth certificate. If yes then maybe go ahead, if no then steer well clear.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 09-01-09 at 03:08 PM.

GazzieC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goscote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for that, I managd to get a high power 3com access point from work so I'm going to try that for now as it hasn't cost me anything, If all else fails he's said hes just going to get a mobile broadband dongle thing.

Thanks for the help anyway I really appreciate it!