Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No wireless connection, seen but cannot connect

This is a discussion on No wireless connection, seen but cannot connect within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have had Sky broadband from day one but as the Netgear DG834GT router is directly under my PC wireless ...

Ducatisto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

No wireless connection, seen but cannot connect

I have had Sky broadband from day one but as the Netgear DG834GT router is directly under my PC wireless was not needed! I now have (was given!) an HP Onmibook 6000 with XP Pro Service Pack 3 on it and although direct ethernet connection is all fine and dandy it fails to actually connect via a Netgear WG111 dongle. Ok, I checked all settings, tried WEP/WPA/disabled and although the dongle "sees" the wireless it does not connect. To back it up I got out a second PC which also is XP'd to Service Pack 3, it too had EXACTLY the same issues and on top of that I got my iTouch out and it too cannot connect so that also points the finger at the router as being the issue.
      I have changed all the setting mentioned in previous posts, changing encryption, disabling it, changing channels etc but to still to no avail. The blinking obvious points have already been checked, ensuring enabling wireless, CAPS and to disabling firewalls on all PCs but I cannot get any joy regarding connection.
      Have I missed the bleedin' obvious?

A New Years pint will be winging its way to anyone who can help.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: No wireless connection, seen but cannot connect

Have you loaded the latest Netgear 111 firmware? Are you trying to use the Netgear WiFi Manager at the same time as the XP WiFi Manager (use one but never both, I prefer XP and have deleted the Netgear software completely).

Have you enabled DHCP on the router and the dongle? Have you tried disabling DHCP and manually assigning an IP address?

If you run the command ipconfig /all what do you get? (Run it from CMD).

Good luck!

Ducatisto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Have you loaded the latest Netgear 111 firmware? Are you trying to use the Netgear WiFi Manager at the same time as the XP WiFi Manager (use one but never both, I prefer XP and have deleted the Netgear software completely).

Have you enabled DHCP on the router and the dongle? Have you tried disabling DHCP and manually assigning an IP address?

If you run the command ipconfig /all what do you get? (Run it from CMD).

Good luck!
      Hello, I have not loaded the 111 firmware. I have tried both Windows WiFi Manager as well as the Netgears WiFi Manager (not at the same time) and no joy with either. Yes, I have enabled DHCP and manually assigned IP addresses so I am at a loss there.

I have not run ipconfig yet but will have a bash when I get home. The reason I am so baffled as I cannot even get on with my iTouch in the same manner, this seems to solely point to the router. Thanks for your reply.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Just in case you haven't thought of these:

1 Check that the router hasn't been set up to limit the MAC codes of attaching wireless adapters

2 Check that the laptop firewall isn't refusing the connection

Regards,

Felix