Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

OK I;m stupid but I can't find

This is a discussion on OK I;m stupid but I can't find within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Wireless Network Connection Manager on my desktop, in control panel nor clicking on my wireless icon. I've got broadband up ...

suttonsue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Birmingham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OK I;m stupid but I can't find

Wireless Network Connection Manager on my desktop, in control panel nor clicking on my wireless icon. I've got broadband up and running on my main computer today with sky activating the line and am now trying to connect my laptop which is a Dell, new and operates on Vista. According to the set up instructions in the Sky booklet I have to open WNCM to input myWPA security protocol and ID number but I just can't find the relevant dialogue box. I know it must be something simple so can someone please, please take me through the steps, preferably through control panel in Vista. I do have a Dell Wireless WLAN Utility card icon in Control Panel but that just gives me information about what is installed, it gives me no opportunity to set up a connection. Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: OK I;m stupid but I can't find

Vista? Try start menu, click on "Connect to" and then click on the sky SSID relevant to your router (the number on your card)

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yet another example of why XP is better (IMO) than Vista, XP is a doddle to set up wirelessly, vista is a pain to do anything with

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes, XP is so good it is optimised for dial up and 3 service packs have failed to fix it

When XP was launched and right up to SP2 in 2004, XP was the pits, so much so that many users vowed to stick with Win 98. People have short memories.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I remember the days of 95, It took me ages to move from win 3.1.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If poss always stick with the wireless adapter manufacturer's own interface -- I recently installed a Belkin that relied on XP Windows Zero Config and it was confusing and offered little info about the connection -- and the connection seemed to fail completely after I'd connected to several different routers. Dumped the Belkin and installed a Netgear.

The problem with Vista wireless is that it works instantly when it works but's a bit hopeless to troubleshoot -- and doesn't it use that weird Apple terminology for the various Wireless Security Options ? Still, it can't be worse than trying to network with Win98.