Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

creating my wireless network

This is a discussion on creating my wireless network within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, I am looking for a bit of help with something that I am not sure is even possible. ...

skooby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kirkcaldy
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

creating my wireless network

Hi guys,

I am looking for a bit of help with something that I am not sure is even possible.

My setup consists of a number of wireless pcs accessing my sagem router for internet. The router is down the stairs plugged in to the main bt socket to give me max connection.

I also have a laptop acting as a music server for my wireless squeezebox. In order for the server to work with wake on lan I have to connect it via ethernet to a second router up the stairs.

This all works except for one major problem. Because the second router is in the same room as my main pc the wireless is interfering with the wireless connection from my pc down to the sagem router so I keep getting drop outs. If I switch the second router off its fine.

Now, here is what I was trying to do. I would like both routers to be on the same network. I know I could do this if I could connect them via ethernet but this is not possible. If they could be connected wirelessly then I could just connect my pc to the second router which would connect to the sagem and get me a connection to the net.

The trouble is I dont know how to do this. I have looked at bridges and they may be what I need.
      Please help.

thanks

skooby
      Last edited by skooby; 28-11-08 at 10:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: creating my wireless network

Buy a couple of homeplugs, that way you can connect the two routers together without problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think the Sky router firmware allows the use of WDS, which you need for what you want to do. An ethernet cable or homeplugs are your best solution.

Do you have the 2 routers on different well separated channels?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skooby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kirkcaldy
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi guys,
      Thanks for the replies. The situation has changed a little as during a master reset of the netgear router I am now completely locked out of it. It will no longer respond on 192.168.0.1. I have tried everything and it's now a paper weight.

I had looked at the homeplugs but they will be no good in my situation. The main incoming BT socket is nowhere near a power point. In order for me to get power to the sagem I had to run a wire round a door frame. This is fine when it's only thin wire for 12V but the wife would not put up with mains cable running round. I dont want to start putting holes in the wall to run the cables inside either. I had thought of moving the router to the power point and running a long telephone cable to the router but I have a poor connection as it is so thats not really an option either.
      I think the answer is going to be a wireless bridge something like the Linksys WET200-G5.

Skooby