Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Acer laptop won't connect

This is a discussion on Acer laptop won't connect within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; You could try going to the Acer website and download the latest Wireless adapter driver for your lap top. Get ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Acer laptop won't connect

You could try going to the Acer website and download the latest Wireless adapter driver for your lap top. Get the driver only, don't bother about other software. Your driver will be either Broadcom or Atheros, make sure you get the correct one. Then go to the Device Manager, find the wireless adapter, right click it and uninstall it. If you are asked if you want to remove the drivers/software, click yes. Reboot and when Windows starts to install the adapter, point it to the new drivers.

I know Windows will tell you you have the latest drivers, ignore this, even if you have. Installing new fresh drivers may do the trick.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      coope66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that but latest driver installed. Back to Comet for refund or exchange i think.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

My wife's last 2 laptops have had atheros wireless controllers and they have both been a pain in the bum to connect.

The only thing I can get them to connect to with any reliabilty is an old Netgear DG834GT and so I am using that as a wireless access point.

They would work fine with XP and any router but not with Vista and Win 7, it's like the newer OS need some luck as well as a lot of patience to get them to go.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

coope66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Returned my Acer today. Tech support said poor antenna reception after i suggested it. Poor quality laptop , poor build . Paying for i3 processor at a detrement to other hardware. Broadcom network adapter....absoluteley useless. Fingers crossed my Atheros is working a treat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123