Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is someone hacking my wifi?

This is a discussion on Is someone hacking my wifi? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Late last night I noticed the Wifi, internet and ethernet port 2 lights on my Sagem router were flashing away ...

chrisw99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hulme Hall
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is someone hacking my wifi?

Late last night I noticed the Wifi, internet and ethernet port 2 lights on my Sagem router were flashing away constantly. I left this 5 minutes to see if it was just a glitch, but it carried on.

So I booted up the PC and went to the router diagnostics, and it was showing 2 attached devices. The PC I'd just turned on at 192.168.0.2, and another MAC address at 192.168.0.4.

The only wireless devices I use are my PSP, and a works laptop, very rarely and neither were on or had been on for days. My PC and PS3 are wired to router via ethernet.

So at first glance it looks like someone else was on my network.
      However, I have my SSID broadcast disabled so my router doesn't show up in a scan, and am using WPA-PSK security, so this doesn't seem likely?

Is there another reason why these lights would be flashing? I could understand the wifi and internet lights going if someone was on my network, but why would the ethernet port 2 be flashing away at the same time (it's the one my PS3 is connected to but that was off at the time).

The only hole in my security is I am still using the Sky supplied SSID and password, printed on the router, although how anyone local would know this I haven't a clue.

I've now changed the SSID and WPA password to something new, and also turned on access control and added the MAC addresses of my PSP and laptop, so hopefully this won't reoccur.

I also tried pinging 192.168.0.4 when I noticed it was an attached device, but got no response. Surely if someone was on my network, I'd have been able to ping (this was during the time the wifi light was flashing away so not like I'd pinged too late and it wasn't there any more)

Any comments much appreciated...

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is someone hacking my wifi?

If you have wireless security in place it is very unlikely that anyone would be able to crack your system. The steps you've taken are sensible, though.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      If you have wireless security in place it is very unlikely that anyone would be able to crack your system. The steps you've taken are sensible, though.
      Exactly my thoughts, so why was an unrecognised attached device showing and the wifi/internet lights going for a few minutes till I stopped it??

When Sky do remote firmware upgrades, etc, would their connection to my router show as an attached device?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No there equipment would not show on the router. What was the MAC address of the 192.168.0.4 ?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      No there equipment would not show on the router. What was the MAC address of the 192.168.0.4 ?
      In my panic once I thought someone was using my connection, I turned off the router. Kicking myself now that I didn't write it down. Don't suppose there's any logs of all DHCP requests for IP addresses, etc? can't find anything obvious.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

That ok, you can find out a little with the MAC address.

I would not worry to much, change the Network key, then monitor from there really.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Is it not worth setting up an allowed access list with the MAC addresses of the known equipment, that way it wouldn't just be the wireless key they would need?