Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Woes..

This is a discussion on Wireless Woes.. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; eh up - was wondering if anybody can help.. I have a problem with my Sagem 2504 and new Sky ...

dr3n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Wireless Woes..

eh up - was wondering if anybody can help.. I have a problem with my Sagem 2504 and new Sky set up.. I have the router running through my pc via the ethernet cable and all is fine and dandy in terms of connection - however my wireless doesn't seem to want to work at all..

Its all 'on' and set up to go when i log into the router but none of my devices (360/Wii/phone/ds/psp/etc) are detecting a wireless network at all.. also there is no wireless adapter (or icon!!) in either the network connections or under my device manager - i simply have my LAN network connection and nothing else.. Setting up a wireless network connection with my correct SSID doesnt seem to fix the issue either as that's all done as well..

Am i missing some drivers for the router itself..? does anyone have any ideas..?

Im running XP Pro SP3 if its of any help... tia..

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Woes..

Is your wireless adapter showing in the Device Manager as properly installed? Go to the Control Panel and open the Network Connections, right click and check that the Wireless adapter is Enabled There are no drivers for routers, so forget about that. Go into the router setup, click Wireless Settings and check that the Wireless Access Point is enabled and Broadcast SSID is also ticked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Jay33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

he said all he can see in the device manager is the LAN, no wireless icon device. but becuse all other devices fail to see it i doubt very VERY much that they are all faulty, its more than likley the router itself, try making sure wireless is enabled first as mentioned then faling that hard reset the router. (rest button at the back) hold in for 5 seconds, failing that, try someone elses sky router as a test.
      Microsoft Certified IT Professional - MCP/ MCDST 70-271, 70-272, A+

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the wireless adapter is not shown in the Device Manager, then he does not have one! If it was a USB type it would only show when plugged in. I have to assume it was when he checked. I agree the problem seems to be the router. I forgot to ask, is the wireless light lit on the router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Jay33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Woes..

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the wireless adapter is not shown in the Device Manager, then he does not have one! If it was a USB type it would only show when plugged in. I have to assume it was when he checked. I agree the problem seems to be the router. I forgot to ask, is the wireless light lit on the router?
      you seem to be contradicting yourself !! u seem the type to always have the last say. and you always seem to AMUSE as well, dont!
      you first said "if the wireless adapter does not shown in the Device Manager, then he does not have one!" then you said "Is your wireless adapter showing in the Device Manager as properly installed?" ?? now that confuses me!
      lets just see what he responds to and this way we can help him with our knowledge, you seem to have some knowledge regarding this so lets just wait for his response for us to take the next step, we work with each other not against buddy.
      Microsoft Certified IT Professional - MCP/ MCDST 70-271, 70-272, A+

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Wireless Woes..

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.. and im afraid no - there are no wireless connections in my network connections at all - all i have is my LAN connection under device manager/network connections (which is working fine) - but nothing at all regarding the wireless adapter/connection.. hence the request for drivers..

its confusing me too... As i say everything is set up and ready to go from this end - the router is still saying wireless is on and working but no joy actually finding it or connecting it with anything..!

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Is the wireless light on?

There maybe several issues here. None of the devices can pick up the wireless. Can they pick up any other equipment ?

Also the PC in question is this going to stay ethernet or go wireless, If wireless then, is the wireless inbuilt, or are you using a dongle ?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay33 View Post
      you seem to be contradicting yourself !! u seem the type to always have the last say. and you always seem to AMUSE as well, dont!
      you first said "if the wireless adapter does not shown in the Device Manager, then he does not have one!" then you said "Is your wireless adapter showing in the Device Manager as properly installed?" ?? now that confuses me!
      lets just see what he responds to and this way we can help him with our knowledge, you seem to have some knowledge regarding this so lets just wait for his response for us to take the next step, we work with each other not against buddy.
      A post like this would just put off the OP, why post something like this ?.

Some of us have a little more knowledge than what you think
      Last edited by googleme; 24-11-08 at 01:54 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yep the wireless light is on and appears to be functioning fine.. I simply dont have a wireless connection in either my network connections or device manager (just simply my LAN connection).. but the router is fully functional and working from what i can tell - i just cant see it..! I had no problems with my wireless on Virgntl router - this problem has only happened since swapping over to Sky...

No problems seeing my neighbours wireless connections either btw - so i know it isnt my other equipment... Just seems to be the router...

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Using a computer connected via Ethernet.
      browse to 192.168.0.1
      click setup if black router, wireless settings if white
      change channel to 1/6/11 (experiment with each)
      click apply.

Now refresh the available network list on the PC that was picking up
      other wireless networks, get this PC connected before we worry about
      the other PC with no wireless device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast